Best performance

kaltsi

Mar 22, 2013
http://goo.gl/maps/d9tFg
Hi,

I want to use the best performance configuration. I need help to find out which VM configuration is the best for me.
The best performance means the drivers use low CPU time.

I will use local storage with a separate disk. Which file system is best for sata qcow2 virtual machines?
All VMs will have only one disk with low usage. But I will use linked clone.

Each virtual machine has multiple network interfaces with low usage. Is virtio or E1000 the better choice?

Which SCSI controller is the better in this case (virtio, LSI)?

All VMs will work in the memory with very low perifera usage. Only the logs wil be wrote.
But I would like decrease the OS boot time to the minimum with best configuration chosen.

If you have any idea I'm open to try it.

Thanks

All devices based on actual real physical devices need emulation with is more time consuming than paravirtualization. Anything based on VirtIO will have less overhead than anythng else but requires specific drivers for the OS inside the VM.
For network use VirtIO (best performance, least overhead), for disks use VirtIO SCSI (best performance, most features) on a Storage that supports block I/O like ZFS or LVM (thin) instead of file based I/O like Directory or raw of qcow2.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!