[SOLVED] Basic NIC Installation Question

tranermr

Jun 7, 2020
Hello,

I have seen numerous threads on this issue, but I haven't been able to get their solutions to work. Thanks for your patience!

I have Proxmox free configured on an i7 system, and just added a quad port intel NIC card to the machine, and plan to only use the original NIC for management. Oddly, 8 interfaces show up in the network section: enp1s0f0, enp1s0f1, enp1s0f2, enp1s0f3, enp3s0f0, enp3s0f1, enp4s0f0, enp4s0f1. However, none of them are active.

I configured enp1s0f0 and enp1s0f1 to DHCP, and to autostart on boot, however the port doesn't seem to come up on boot (a message appears that the system is waiting on the interfaces).

I have attached my etc/network/interfaces file below; thanks in advance for your assistance.

auto lo
auto enp1s0f0
auto enp1s0f1
iface lo inet loopback

iface eno1 inet manual

iface enp1s0f0 inet dhcp

iface enp1s0f1 inet dhcp

iface enp1s0f2 inet manual

iface enp1s0f3 inet manual

iface enp1s3f0 inet manual

iface enp1s3f1 inet manual

iface enp1s4f0 inet manual

iface enp1s4f1 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 192.168.1.51/24
gateway 192.168.1.1
bridge-ports eno1
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet dhcp
bridge-ports enp1s0f0
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0

Nevermind, I was able to activate the interface using "ip link set dev enp3s0f0 up", and then discovered that the ethernet ports were numbered opposite the way in the diagram I had been looking at using "ip link show up". Thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!