Backups of one vm

AntoWkill

Jul 31, 2013
hello,
I need to change server. How i can download a backups of my vm? And if i download and upload the backups in new server i can restore the vm? Or how i can create a full backups of a vm and upload it in the new server (with proxmox)

which version you are running?
define a shared storage for backups, create a backup task for that vm - or do a manual backup with 'Backup now' option on the 'Backup' tab of the vm;
Storage could also be a local directory you add on the Storage tab;
On the second server also configure the same shared storage and you should see the backups for restoring by sselcting and clicking 'Restore'
In case of local directories you also create a local directory on the second server and define it as storage type 'Directory' and copy the content from directory of first server to this directory via ssh as example;

which version you are running?
define a shared storage for backups, create a backup task for that vm - or do a manual backup with 'Backup now' option on the 'Backup' tab of the vm;
Storage could also be a local directory you add on the Storage tab;
On the second server also configure the same shared storage and you should see the backups for restoring by sselcting and clicking 'Restore'
In case of local directories you also create a local directory on the second server and define it as storage type 'Directory' and copy the content from directory of first server to this directory via ssh as example;

How i can download the directory of the server?

hello,
I need to change server. How i can download a backups of my vm? And if i download and upload the backups in new server i can restore the vm? Or how i can create a full backups of a vm and upload it in the new server (with proxmox)

From your message it seems to me you do not have shared storage for Proxmox. So here is another quick but very effective way to move backup files from machine to machine.

1. Do your backup as usual. Assuming you are doing backup locally. With all default config, your backup should be stored in /var/lib/vz/dump/backups_xxxxxxxxxx.vma.lzo

2. Download and Install FTP program like FileZilla on a Windows machine on same LAN.

3. Login to your Proxmox node through FileZilla by entering host address such as 192.xxx.xxx.xx, user name: root, root password and port: 22

4. Browse to /var/lib/vz/dump folder and copy your backup files on your windows machine.

5. Setup new machine

6. Just follow the procedure from #3 to login to new server through Filezilla and copy backup files from your local computer to new server's location: /var/lib/vz/dump

7. Restore VMs using Proxmox WebGUI.

The option of copying file using scp command shown by Screenie also works great. In case you dont have much experience with scp, you can use FTP program. In which case i will suggest you get acquainted with SCP. Saves lot of time and you will not be depended on a windows machine.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!