Backup

txsastre

Jan 6, 2015
Hi there.
I'm testing proxmox, I like it and possibly is going to replace my VmWare.
I have some questions about managing backups

1 - when I do a backups I can see all of them in every machine backup tab, I don't understand why. Shouldn't it be filtered by machine<->backup ?
2 - when I do a restore, all I can see is a almost-criptical-description like "vzdump-qemu-100-2015_01_06.vma.lzo" I can see that that's machine ID 100 and the date, but, how can I know what machine is that ?? Was that my DNS server ? my owncloud ?... Is there a way to put a description in the backup file ?
3 - trying to restore from GUI, I cannot change the ID VM, so it wants to restore over the machine I have currently selected. I had to create a dummy MV so I could restore on it. Shouldn't be a more elegant way to do it ? (also tested by console, more flexible, but same problem as point 2)

Thank you !

1 - when I do a backups I can see all of them in every machine backup tab, I don't understand why. Shouldn't it be filtered by machine<->backup ?

you see all you have read permission

2 - when I do a restore, all I can see is a almost-criptical-description like "vzdump-qemu-100-2015_01_06.vma.lzo" I can see that that's machine ID 100 and the date, but, how can I know what machine is that ?? Was that my DNS server ? my owncloud ?... Is there a way to put a description in the backup file ?

currently no

3 - trying to restore from GUI, I cannot change the ID VM, so it wants to restore over the machine I have currently selected.

Just use the restore GUI on the storage (not the restore on VM). You can then select the VMID.

Thank you.

Yes, I understand point 1, but, I thought that if I was, for example, on VM ID 101 I should only see the backups than belong to VM ID 101, not all of them.

So in case 2, what do people do ? do they use a spreadsheet for anotate which ID belong to which VM ? It's planned to add a field with description (or something like that) on the road map ? Same as naming the hard disks.

Point 3, thank you very much, easier now.

Really like this environment.

We keep all VM info in a spreadsheet. This seems to be simplest way right now to keep track which VM ID is for what. We also address each client VM by the VM name instead of VM ID. That way if VM ID changes due to backup/restore, we dont have to update our clients with new info.

Hi, a spreadsheed, that's what I supposed.

By the way, can you explain the segon line ? "We also address each client VM by the VM name instead of VM ID. That way if VM ID changes due to backup/restore, we dont have to update our clients with new info." I don't understand the concept of "address each client VM by the VM name instead of VM ID"

Wouldn't be possible to put the description into a metatag of the backup file ?

By the way, can you explain the segon line ? "We also address each client VM by the VM name instead of VM ID. That way if VM ID changes due to backup/restore, we dont have to update our clients with new info." I don't understand the concept of "address each client VM by the VM name instead of VM ID"

Wouldn't be possible to put the description into a metatag of the backup file ?

Lets say a VM with ID 101 and description Client-XYZ looks like this: 101(Client-XYZ). So when a client has any problem with any VM they will contact us saying "ClientXYZ" VM has issue instead of saying VM ID#101 has issue. Because one month the ID may be 101(Client-XYZ), few months later it could be 2190(Client-XYZ). This allows us to reuse VM ID when any clients decides to retire their VMs. We can reclaim the VM ID by reassigning existing VM.

aha. ok

I wasn't understanding that because we don't have VM clients. We are the sysadmins of the systems surrounded by users.

so, by now, the spreadsheet is the option, until added the option of description in proxmox.

than you

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!