Backup won't work: Volume group "vg0" has insufficient free space

dan

Jan 16, 2009
I've tried to start the backup process of a VM manually but getting the following error message:

INFO: starting new backup job: vzdump 101 --mode snapshot --compress 1 --storage backup --node pve
INFO: Starting Backup of VM 101 (openvz)
INFO: CTID 101 exist mounted running
INFO: status = running
INFO: backup mode: snapshot
INFO: ionice priority: 7
INFO: creating lvm snapshot of /dev/mapper/vg0-vz ('/dev/vg0/vzsnap-pve-0')
INFO: Volume group "vg0" has insufficient free space (0 extents): 256 required.
ERROR: Backup of VM 101 failed - command ''lvcreate --size 1024M --snapshot --name vzsnap-pve-0 /dev/vg0/vz'' failed: exit code 5
INFO: Backup job finished with errors
TASK ERROR: job errors

If I check the free space on the host machine, there seems to be sufficient space left.

df -hFilesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/vg0-root 120G 1.4G 112G 2% /
tmpfs 12G 0 12G 0% /lib/init/rw
udev 12G 260K 12G 1% /dev
tmpfs 12G 19M 12G 1% /dev/shm
/dev/md0 4.0G 114M 3.7G 3% /boot
/dev/mapper/vg0-backup
298G 191M 283G 1% /backup
/dev/mapper/vg0-vz 916G 41G 830G 5% /var/lib/vz
/dev/fuse 30M 20K 30M 1% /etc/pve

The backup space its mounted on /backup. What I'm doing wrong?

Thanks for any help.

Thanks for your reply. I'm getting the same error:

INFO: starting new backup job: vzdump 101 --mode snapshot --compress 1 --storage backup --node pve
INFO: Starting Backup of VM 101 (openvz)
INFO: CTID 101 exist mounted running
INFO: status = running
INFO: backup mode: snapshot
INFO: ionice priority: 7
INFO: creating lvm snapshot of /dev/mapper/vg0-vz ('/dev/vg0/vzsnap-pve-0')
INFO: Volume group "vg0" has insufficient free space (0 extents): 1000 required.
ERROR: Backup of VM 101 failed - command ''lvcreate --size 4000M --snapshot --name vzsnap-pve-0 /dev/vg0/vz'' failed: exit code 5
INFO: Backup job finished with errors
TASK ERROR: job errors

suspending works but I would rather like to use the snapshot mode... Is this a bug or a miss configuration on my part?

probably a bug. I know it will be fixed . in the mean time we use the backup mode that works . no backups = not a good word.

we have been using suspend or stop mode for 6 days on 4 nodes with out a problem.

and use rsnapshot , with each node having a copy of the backups from every other node.

I do not mind reinstalling as long as there are backups.

you have no free space in your volume group (vg0). it looks like you did not install with our installer and you missed to left some space for snapshots. (our installer reservers this automatically).

pls note, this has nothing to do with the free space in the file system. take a look in the lvm2 documentation.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!