Backup to sshfs or nfs?

alexc

Apr 13, 2015
I have several hosts with really dated PVE versions (2.1 and 4.3, 4.4). Now I have several new servers to put Proxmox on and about to copy VMs to these new hosts.

VMs are quite big and I can’t do that at days, only and nights. But I have a gigabit network between hosts so I really wonder if I can mount disks on new host to old host (sshfs or nfs I think) and make sVM disk migrate or simple backup to that disks?

The idea behind is that I can do snapshot backup so VMs will continue as data copy be done, then I start VMs on new hosts and copy data delta within VMs as files (very few files are changed there) so maybe I’ll manage to fit the nighttime span).

Any ideas are welcome but will this work for me?

Thank you!

PS VM disks are files on LVM/ext4 partitions, and this will be the same way on new hosts.

what is the size of the backups?

we use 8TB USB 3.0 drives or a removable HDD for transfer of backups off site weekly.

Last edited:
another option is to use rsync. for instance ( just change 'new-server' to the hostname or IP of the target system) :
Code:
rsync -aP  /bkup/dump/   new-server:/bkup/dump/

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!