[SOLVED] Backup on daily changing usb drive (PVE 4.2)

BJ78945

Apr 15, 2015
Hello,

I have datastores:

- local-lvm wich was created during setup
- wd-re-raid which is an lvm volume (not lvm-thin)

I want to Backup the vms every day on changing usb harddrives (3 drives, changing every day). The vms are windows server 2012 r2. My idea was to backup via proxmox. But I have a few questions:

- How can I automount the dirve? I tried the programm usbmount but had a few problesm with it. Is there an alternative?
- Is it save to do only snapshots?
- Are incremental backups possible?
- Is it possible to backup on exFAT or NTFS?
- Is there a better way to backup the windows server vms? For example USB passthrough?

Thanks

Alex

Hello,

I have datastores:

- local-lvm wich was created during setup
- wd-re-raid which is an lvm volume (not lvm-thin)

I want to Backup the vms every day on changing usb harddrives (3 drives, changing every day). The vms are windows server 2012 r2. My idea was to backup via proxmox. But I have a few questions:

- How can I automount the dirve? I tried the programm usbmount but had a few problesm with it. Is there an alternative?
- Is it save to do only snapshots?
- Are incremental backups possible?
- Is it possible to backup on exFAT or NTFS?
- Is there a better way to backup the windows server vms? For example USB passthrough?

Thanks

Alex

We have used usbmount for many years.
What issue prevents using it?

I found my failure. I tried the whole time to mount an ntfs drive which was ro only mounted. I switch to ext3 and now it works.

Sure. First of all I opened an shell session then I installed usbmount and checked config
Code:
apt-get install usbmount
nano /etc/usbmount/usbmount.conf
There should be ENABLED set to 1.
Now I insert my usb drive which was first NTFS formatted. In log you can see that the usb drive was plugged in and get an link like /dev/sdX (in my case). Then I edit partition table:
Code:
cfdisk /dev/sdX
Important to check this is the right disk! You should now see something like NTFS under Type. Now delete every partition and create a new one with type Linux. Checke Write and then Quit. After this make an filesystem, I used ext3:
Code:
mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdX
Now unplug disk and plugin again. In syslog you should see, that usbmount detect the disk and mount it. Normally under /media/usb0 if it is the first disk. I create an directory, but it is not necessery.
Code:
mkdir /media/usb0/pve
If this works you can go to Proxmox WebGUI and add an Storage. It must be a Directory Storage. As Directory choose /media/usb0/pve and as Content choose VZDump backup file. Max Backup is in your choice. I decided to set this value to 2, so I have 2 Backups on every USB disk. Give this Storage an good name for example USB-Backup. After this you can define an Backup-Job, choose USB-Backup as storage and the rest is up to you. I setup that I always get an mail for the first few days to see everything is working. And until now, no problems. I also tried an recovery from the disk and this works without any problems. But I only have an USB 2.0 connection so it is very slow. 210GB takes 3.5 hours in my case. So better is to use faster conenctions like USB 3.0 and a fast disk if you need much space.

Hi,

i have a question here, can i plug another USB with different UUID to have 2 backups in 2 different USBs ?

what i want is > i have 2 USBs and i would like to connet one of them and when the backup is finish i will connect the other USB and the system should automaticly continue the backup without any error.

is that possible ?

Regards
Azim

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!