[SOLVED] Backup, lost between the multiple solutions :/

pep

Feb 8, 2018
Hello,
I got two proxmox server configured in cluster: pve-server-1 and pve-server-2.
pve-server-1 has 7 vm, pve-server-2 has 2 vm.
I configured replication:
- vm of pve-sever-1 are replicated on pve-server-2
- vm of pve-sever-2 are replicated on pve-server-1
Now I got a FreeNAS with NFS share and I would like to configure a BACKUP of the vm.
Because freenas is ZFS based in theory I can use this feature to zfs send.

Anyway so far as a first try I setup pve-zsync to backup on an NFS share through SSH:
Here is /etc/crond.d/pve-zsync content:
Code:
0 22 * * 1-5 root pve-zsync sync --source 102 --dest 192.168.xx.xx:pool0/vm_backup --name backup_102 --maxsnap 5 --method ssh
0 22 * * 1-5 root pve-zsync sync --source 100 --dest 192.168.xx.xx:pool0/vm_backup --name backup_100 --maxsnap 5 --method ssh
0 22 * * 1-5 root pve-zsync sync --source 101 --dest 192.168.xx.xx:pool0/vm_backup --name backup_101 --maxsnap 5 --method ssh
0 22 * * 1-5 root pve-zsync sync --source 104 --dest 192.168.xx.xx:pool0/vm_backup --name backup_104 --maxsnap 5 --method ssh
0 22 * * 1-5 root pve-zsync sync --source 105 --dest 192.168.xx.xx:pool0/vm_backup --name backup_105 --maxsnap 5 --method ssh
0 22 * * 1-5 root pve-zsync sync --source 106 --dest 192.168.xx.xx:pool0/vm_backup --name backup_106 --maxsnap 5 --method ssh

I used:https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/PVE-zsync
But reading the doc they said:
Migrate form pve-zsync to Storage Replication
so going to https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage_Replication
it seems they speak about REPLICATION no BACKUP.
?_?

And finally I also found a vzdump related link:
vzdump based: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Backup_and_Restore

So I'm a bit lost. :/

If pve-zsync the way to go?
If yes, why there is no gui for it?
I've updated to 5.3 and there is a backup tab in cluster , is this vzdump related?

Thanks for any clarification!

If pve-zsync the way to go?
yes if you want to use zfs send/receive with external hosts you have to use pve-zsync

If yes, why there is no gui for it?
nobody made one ;), no, but seriosly we want to extend the replication in the future to maybe also allow backups to external hosts, but this sounds easier than it looks

I've updated to 5.3 and there is a backup tab in cluster , is this vzdump related?
yes this is for vzdump

Can you just clarify the difference between vzdump and pve-zsync?
pve-zsync uses zfs send receive to replicate the datasets/pools
so it only works with zpools and uses the storage snapshot feature

vzdump creates a file with a full backup of a vm/ct independent of the storage (iow it also works with nfs/files/rbd/etc.)
and uses the qemu-internal feature (for vms) or storage snapshot/fsfreeze (for ct)

Reactions: pep
OK now I better understand.
vzdump is quite interesting in this case, because I got a secondary backup off site system btrfs based, so pve-zsync is useless in this usecase!
Very interesting, thks for your clarification!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!