Jan 24, 2019
Hey guys, I'm in a bit of a pickle.

I'll start by going over my setup:
- Storage server running TrueNas with 10Gb networking
- ZFS pools​
- One pool with 12x 2TB drives in raidz2 (storage B)​
- Another pool with 3x 400GB ssds in stripe (storage A)​

- Single hypervisor
- Boot disk is 400GB NVMe. 91GB partitioned for `local`, 250GB partitioned for `local-lvm`​
- Storage A, B mounted as separate storages over NFS​
- Container on hypervisor​
- Boot disk on local-lvm (~6GB of data)​
- Mount point with storage being NFS Storage A (~130GB data)​

So here's my scenario. I'm trying to run backups on this container, but I'm running into two failures depending on what I configure.
- If I backup as "normal" to Storage B (snapshot mode, no tmpdir configured in /etc/vzdump.conf), the backup throws the standard
Code:
temporary directory is on NFS, disabling xattr and acl support
warning, and will start transferring files, as seen via network logs. However, it gets to a point where file activity seems to finish and it will just sit there forever. I had one go for 12 hours before I manually stopped it. I can't seem to find any reason in the logs, and the temporary directory is on the storage, appearing to have all synced files there.

- If I enable the tmpdir, it runs great until inevitably the `local` storage gets full and the rsync process fails.

Obviously the "fix" for using a tmpdir is to get more storage, but while I could technically do that, I don't see it as a reasonable option. I think about what if I have a ct disk with 1TB of data? I'd need a 1TB drive just to handle the temporary files!

So are there any options for me? The first scenario seems like a bug or misconfiguration, so I'm hoping that someone who knows more about rsync and NFS can shed some light on what might be going on.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!