[SOLVED] Attempting to change proxmox host IP via CLI due to conflicting subnets

liamlows

Jan 9, 2020
Hey guys,

So I am currently running proxmox on my home server and use a ubiquiti controlled VPN to get in and manage the panel. Unfortunately, the default subnet range being used on my home network was 192.168.1.1-255 (it is the same as the range on the router from the remote network I am connecting from) and I was unable to actually access any of the servers on the VPN. I changed my router settings and now the range is set properly and other servers are popping up except proxmox.

I went ahead and made the IP for the proxomx vmbr0 192.168.11.172 (used to be 192.168.1.172) and changed the settings in the /etc/network/interfaces file and also the /etc/hosts file too. i called a systemctl networking restart and also cold cycled the whole system and every time i navigate to https://192.168.11.172:8006 in a web browser it times out. The IP even drops pings too.

I really wasnt anticipating this being such an issue, I was hoping i could simply chnage the static IP via a proxmox cli command but that was not an option. I really would rather not have to loose the setup i currently have with all my VMs if possible (as i did not backup and it would be difficult to do remotely). Does anyone have any advice? The only thing ive seen that might work is to reinstall proxmox but like I said that would be quite un-ideal.

Thanks again guys and I appreciate any help!

Last edited:
UPDATE:
Figured out the fix! The first thing I noticed was that the gateway was incorrect :rolleyes: and I must have forgotten to change it to the new subnet. Once I made that change, it was still acting a bit iffy (even with a cold cycle boot) but I was able to solve the issue by pulling down the vmbr0 interface using `ifdown` and then brought it back up with `ifup` and then cold cycling again. Figured I would post to let others know!

So all in all, when changing the IP for the HOST GUI, you should change the ip in `/etc/hosts` & `/etc/network/interfaces` as well as the gateway (if subnet change) in `/etc/network/interfaces`. Then restart the interfaces and cold cycle! Hope this helps someone else down the road!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!