Are IP addresses required for vmbr bridges?

Jul 5, 2016
We have a Proxmox cluster where each node has a pair of physical nics bonded (LACP) to bond0 and then each vlan as (vlan 10-15, as bond0.10, bond0.11, etc) and each vmbr as (vmbr10 with ports/slaves bond0.10, vmbr11 with ports/slaves bond0.11, etc)

We have an IP/mask/gateway associated with vmbr10, and we use that IP to reach the node. We can attach guest VMs to vmbr10, but cannot attach guest VMs to vmbr11 (vmbr11 does not have an IP/mask defined). If we do, we get an error when starting the guest "bridge 'vmbr11' does not exist".

Are IP addresses required for additional bridges? If so, we will just give each an IP. But if that is not required, how do we resolve this issue.

Thanks,

Dale

No, you do not need additional IPs, you don't need them at all.

I'd drop the direct vlan setup and setup everything directly over Proxmox VE. It's easier and less error prone in my opinion.

Create a virtualized clone of your current proxmox environment inside your current proxmox environment. Then you can test very easily.

No, you do not need additional IPs, you don't need them at all.

I'd drop the direct vlan setup and setup everything directly over Proxmox VE. It's easier and less error prone in my opinion.

I have a test Proxmox environment, and was able to get this to work there. I basically deleted the vmbr11 and also the bond0.11, restarted, and then added vmbr11 back with ports/slaves bond0.11 and rebooted, and all works well without a bridge IP address. Guest VM's were able to attach to the vmbr11 bridge and pull an appropriate dhcp address.
Thanks again for your help:)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!