apt-get update in CT returns temporary failure

kubo6472

Aug 6, 2018
I have debian 9 CT and when I try to update, or download something it fails. due to Temporary failure resolving 'security.debian.org' ... people seems to think that is DNS error. I had my domain as search domain from installation of PVE. So I kept searching and found articledownload2.png
but I do not really understand it. So I ask you, the community. What should I put into my search domain ? Thanks. BTW. Here is how I got it now.
download.png

You would normally leave it blank.

The Search Domain is what's used when your VM tries to look up something that is not a full domain name. e.g. if you enter "ping blah", "blah" is not a full domain, and there is no way to work out what you meant. If you have a corporate network, you can use the Search Domain" to help in situations like this. In your situation you do not have a corporate network to worry about.

You should NOT have google.com as your search domain. It has nothing to do with searching in the way Google does searches. You should remove it and leave it blank.

You would normally leave it blank.

The Search Domain is what's used when your VM tries to look up something that is not a full domain name. e.g. if you enter "ping blah", "blah" is not a full domain, and there is no way to work out what you meant. If you have a corporate network, you can use the Search Domain" to help in situations like this. In your situation you do not have a corporate network to worry about.

You should NOT have google.com as your search domain. It has nothing to do with searching in the way Google does searches. You should remove it and leave it blank.

It does not let me do so, as you can see here
Screenshot_1.png

but anyway, thanks for help. It was there from beggining. I did not put that there. But the internet connection in CT does not work still.

If you can't leave it blank, use the authoritative DNS server for your domain.

As for the network issues, I normally use ping.

ping secure.debian.org

Then I use dig.

dig debian.org
dig secure.debian.org

And check the results. I would see the nameservers associated with the domain and so on.

Also try dig@8.8.8.8 secure.debian.org to see if it makes a difference to your results.

You can also change 1.1.1.1 to 8.8.8.8 and 1.0.0.1 to 8.8.4.4 to see if there's an issue communicating with those DNS servers.

This took me a while. After long hours of testing I observed, that in regular VM internet works fine, only CT has some problems.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!