APC smart UPS nut or apcupsd

jsequeiros

Nov 27, 2014
Hello everebody,

I want to buy one upc for my dell server working with proxmox 3.3. Acording to workmates, APC Smart is the best upc(?) for linux debian server. I read there are 2 ways to manage upc from linux server trought usp port: nut and apcupsd. I don't have any experience about upc s and its management.

What kind of upc model do you recommend to buy that works fine with proxmox?
What is the best way to manage one UPS under proxmox: nut or apcupsd?

I have a smartups 1000. Old model with serial interface. Works very well with apcupsd.

The general rule, IMHO, if your apc uses serial interface apcupsd works best. With USB interface both work equally well.

APC SmartUPS 1500 and 1000 connected to Proxmox host, all works with NUT.
Works just fine, including email or sms notification. NUT over network also great -- notify servers to shut down when power failure occurs.

I've a APC SmartUPS SMT1000I configured with apcupsd. This, that is new series, uses a secret protocol so apcupsd gets only few parameters from it, but that's enough for my needs (shutdown when batteries are below a certain percentage).
Could you pleas share your config for nut, so I can try it too without wasting time to reinvent the wheel? I'm interested in the network part as well.
Thanks in advance

Ok, where is my config. UPS is Smart-UPS RT 2000 XL, connected to Proxmox 3.3 host with serial cable. I don't know it uses a 'secret' protocol or not, but it works very well.
Set up server (host, which UPS connected to):

Step 1. Enable net server mode in /etc/nut/nut.conf:
Code:
MODE=netserver

Step 2. Describe our UPS in /etc/nut/ups.conf (I have UPS named '22b' connected to serial port):
Code:
[22b]
        driver = apcsmart
        port = /dev/ttyS0

Step 3. Edit daemon settings in /etc/nut/upsd.conf:
Code:
LISTEN 192.168.11.110 3493

Step 4. If you need to host monitor itself, edit monitor settings in /etc/nut/upsmon.conf:
Code:
MONITOR 22b@192.168.11.110 1 upsmon pass master
I didn't set username and password for UPS in /etc/nut/upsd.users, so it is not necessary to use it, but they present in this line (upsmon and pass).
'1' means thus system produces power for host, 'master' means you monitor main (master) UPS, that must be shut down last.

I wrote a small script (/etc/nut/notify) to send email notification to several emails when UPS events occured:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
echo "$*" | mailx -s "UPS Notice" xxxxxxx@sms.xxxxx.ru -cc xxxxx@mail.ru -- -f xxxxxx@academy21.ru

Step 5. Add notify command (script execution) to /etc/nut/upsmon.conf:
Code:
NOTIFYCMD /etc/nut/notify

Set up nut client if quite easy:

Step 1. Enable client mode in /etc/nut/nut.conf:
Code:
MODE=netclient

Step 2. Edit monitor settings in /etc/nut/upsmon.conf:
Code:
MONITOR 22b@192.168.11.110 1 upsmon pass master

You can monitor your UPS by hand:
Code:
upsc 22b@192.168.11.110

That is.

Last edited:
I always use apcupsd. Easy config, 5 Minutes for a fresh server. Never had problems with before.

apcupsd works only with APC devices.
I have several types of UPS, CyberPower for example. nut supports it via HID UPS driver.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!