Apache2 failed after upgrade from 1.9 to 2.x

michaels0007

Jan 10, 2013
Hi

My apache2 has failed, can you tell me how to fix it. :confused:
Startpar: Service(s) returned Failure: Cman apache2
Syntax error on line 13 of /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/pve-redirect.conf:
SSLCertificateFile: file '/etc/pve/local/pve-ssl.pem' does not exist or is empty
Action 'configtest' failed.
The Apache error log may have more information.
failed!

Thanks

Last edited:
The quick and the easy would be to edit the file and comment out the ssl cert part and start apache back up. I would then just follow any tutorial on the web to create a self signed cert. Copy it to a place where apache has access to and then edit config file and adjust to the new cert you just created. Then restart apache and you should be good to go. I've never upgraded from 1.9 to 2.?? so I can't tell you why it didn't create the new cert but if you follow this outline you should be able to get it going again.

The quick and the easy would be to edit the file and comment out the ssl cert part and start apache back up. I would then just follow any tutorial on the web to create a self signed cert. Copy it to a place where apache has access to and then edit config file and adjust to the new cert you just created. Then restart apache and you should be good to go. I've never upgraded from 1.9 to 2.?? so I can't tell you why it didn't create the new cert but if you follow this outline you should be able to get it going again.

Can you tell me how to edit the file & what it should look like. I have a copy of the old self signed cert from 1.9 can I use that & if I can use it, how do I load it to the server. :confused:

Your going to need to view this file, make sure do not edit it unless you need to change the names of the certificate.

Use your favorite editor You can use nano or vi, if you a vi user i suggest that you apt-get install vim-nox as vi in debian has some weird tendencies.

/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/pve.conf

SSLEngine on
SSLProtocol all -SSLv2
SSLCertificateFile /etc/pve/local/pve-ssl.pem
SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/pve/local/pve-ssl.key

Follow these instructions here OpenSSL and Apache at how to forge

Replace the certs with the ones that you created. Restart apache.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!