Anyone using a replicated NFS storage system?

Discussion in 'Proxmox VE: Installation and configuration' started by gbr, Dec 6, 2013.

1. gbr

gbr Member

Hi,

I currently have a replicate DRBD/iSCSI solution running on Ubuntu 13.10. I get great speeds from it, and good fsyncs/sec. What I don't have is snapshot ability, which I really miss from my XenServer days.

Using the same hardware and OS, I moved to a DRBD/NFS replicated solution. My speeds dropped dramatically (from 118 MB/s to 35 MB/s), and my fsyncs dropped a bit. The NFS was exported async, and I even tried NFSv4.

So, my question is, does anyone have a replicated NFS solution that works well? What about another replicated solution that offers snapshots, and requires only two servers (NAS/SAN) to implement?

Gerald

ps: I looked at Nas4Free with HAST and NFS, but their NFS does not do async, so speeds are abysmal.

2. p3x-749

p3x-749 Member

..what about using a ZFS based NAS/Filer with iSCSI?
    Use ZFS-Volumes on the NAS and export these as targets via iSCSI.
    ZFS will give you the ability to snapshot the targets this way.

3. jinjer

jinjer Member

Or just use zfs based nas exported via nfs.

4. gbr

gbr Member

ZFS may be a solution, although I have a manager that would never grasp the concept of non-gui based snapshots.

How does ZFS run on top of DRBD? I did both XFS and EXT4 exported via NFS on top of DRBD, and the speeds dropped dramatically (118 MB/s iSCSI to 35 MB/s async NFS)

5. p3x-749

p3x-749 Member

iSCSI wil be the fastest option, although with NFS you should be able to saturate a GBit-Link.
    Take a look into napp-it for a web-based management GUI -> http://www.napp-it.org/index_en.html

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice