Any hints or suggestions for running an ARM VM?

crazy_otto

May 12, 2021
I won't be surprised if I hear it "isn't supported," but it seems the ARM emulation layer is installed by default on my PVE 6.x servers -- so where's the "howto" for installing an ARM VM?

I can't believe I'm the only person to want to do this -- as silly as it may sound to some of you.

In fact, I *did* find a "howto" from a couple years ago in a Reddit thread. Unfortunately, that recipe seems to depend on having a Raspberry Pi .iso image for first time bootup -- and I can only find .img boot images for those devices today.

Again, I'm not trying to run Proxmox on an RPi -- I want to run an RPi image in a VM on PVE.

I won't be surprised if I hear it "isn't supported," but it seems the ARM emulation layer is installed by default on my PVE 6.x servers -- so where's the "howto" for installing an ARM VM?

I can't believe I'm the only person to want to do this -- as silly as it may sound to some of you.

In fact, I *did* find a "howto" from a couple years ago in a Reddit thread. Unfortunately, that recipe seems to depend on having a Raspberry Pi .iso image for first time bootup -- and I can only find .img boot images for those devices today.

Again, I'm not trying to run Proxmox on an RPi -- I want to run an RPi image in a VM on PVE.
Hello Otto,

I actually have an Ubuntu VM Running on my Proxmox PI Cluster:

Just an FYI you can run Raspberry PI OS Desktop on the Intel side of things as a VM

### Deploying a VM on ProxmoxPI4 ###
1 - Right Click Create VM
2 - Name your VM
3 - Select Start at Boot <next>
4 - Select your ISO Image (on RPi must be ARM64) <next> <next>
5 - Type Disk Size mine is 30 GiB
6 - Select SSD Emulation
7 - Uncheck Backup box <next>
8 - Select cores and make it 2 <next>
9 - Make the memory to your liking I use 2048 MiB <next>
10 - Uncheck Firewall <next>
11 - Select Start after Created <Finish>
12 - Highlight VM
13 - Highight Hardware
14 - Select Bios <edit>
15 - Select OVMF (UEFI)
16 - Select CD/DVD and remove it <- Very important
17 - Select Add
18 - Select CD/DVD Drive
19 - Select scsi & 2 <- Very Important
20 - Select Storage (ISOs)
21 - Select ISO Image
22 - Click Create
23 - Right Click VM
24 - Select Start

Make sure you are not using a 64 bit version of amd / intel image it will not work on the PI install. I have a website where I am putting all of these tutorials for everyone. I will also be doing some videos as well for these tutorials. If you can't tell I am a huge PI enthusiast.

Thanks,
Michael
http://www.rpihobby.us

Last edited:
Reactions: crazy_otto
Hello Otto,

Just an FYI you can run Raspberry PI OS Desktop on the Intel side of things as a VM

<snip>
Thanks for the response, Michael!

So the trick seems to be *finding an RPi OS .ISO* to use for the installation.

The "official" RPi site does not seem to have them anymore -- at least I was not able to find any in the ~30-45 minutes of internet searching I did yesterday.

Does anyone have a current source for a RPi OS .iso?

EDIT: I should note that I am aware of .ISOs for installing x86 Debian with a RPi-esque Destkop on x86 hardware. What I *thought* was possible, and wanted to attempt was to "kick the tires" of a particular software suite that is built for ARMHF without actually needing to install it on RPi hardware. While I eagerly await another reply, I'm off to check out Michael's web site...

Last edited:
Thanks for the response, Michael!

So the trick seems to be *finding an RPi OS .ISO* to use for the installation.

The "official" RPi site does not seem to have them anymore -- at least I was not able to find any in the ~30-45 minutes of internet searching I did yesterday.

Does anyone have a current source for a RPi OS .iso?
Here ya go otto it's still there just buried,

https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/r...2021-01-12/2021-01-11-raspios-buster-i386.iso

Also if you go to the site just click the download button.

If you need any help just let me know I will be happy to help you in anyway I can.

Michael
mcooper@coopfire.com

I must be missing something important. I notice you didn't add a UEFI disk (to save the boot order changes needed to make the VM boot from CD, right?), so I tried adding that, and re-configuring the boot order in the UEFI settings -- still can't get it to recognize the removable media.

Oh, I should mention that I found the Ubuntu server 20.04LTS ISO for ARM architecture on their site.

1629825097645.png

Here ya go otto it's still there just buried,

https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/r...2021-01-12/2021-01-11-raspios-buster-i386.iso

Also if you go to the site just click the download button.

If you need any help just let me know I will be happy to help you in anyway I can.

Michael
mcooper@coopfire.com
Isn't that for x86 hardware?

I'm trying to use ARM emulation on Proxmox, to "kick the tires" on some applications pre-compiled for ARMHF. Perhaps that's just a no-go and I'll need to go ahead and image it to an actual RPi...

Anybody got any additional thoughts re: using a Proxmox VM running ARM emulation to run an RPi OS to test out applications pre-compiled for ARMHF?

Isn't that for x86 hardware?

I'm trying to use ARM emulation on Proxmox, to "kick the tires" on some applications pre-compiled for ARMHF. Perhaps that's just a no-go and I'll need to go ahead and image it to an actual RPi...
yes it is actually but that is the only ISO of Raspberry Pi there is the others are .img files.

I must be missing something important. I notice you didn't add a UEFI disk (to save the boot order changes needed to make the VM boot from CD, right?), so I tried adding that, and re-configuring the boot order in the UEFI settings -- still can't get it to recognize the removable media.

Oh, I should mention that I found the Ubuntu server 20.04LTS ISO for ARM architecture on their site.

View attachment 28924
This might be a little late but you have to go to options and select the boot order make sure you put the cd / hard drive/net then after the install is complete. Goto hardware >> choose cd >> edit and select "Do use any media" at the bottom of the list. Then reboot it should work - please be aware it will take 30 secs to a minute for the VM to boot. 1630758762954.png

Last edited:
Hello Otto,

### Deploying a VM on ProxmoxPI4 ###
1 - Right Click Create VM
2 - Name your VM
3 - Select Start at Boot <next>
4 - Select your ISO Image (on RPi must be ARM64) <next> <next>
5 - Type Disk Size mine is 30 GiB
6 - Select SSD Emulation
7 - Uncheck Backup box <next>
8 - Select cores and make it 2 <next>
9 - Make the memory to your liking I use 2048 MiB <next>
10 - Uncheck Firewall <next>
11 - Select Start after Created <Finish>
12 - Highlight VM
13 - Highight Hardware
14 - Select Bios <edit>
15 - Select OVMF (UEFI)
16 - Select CD/DVD and remove it <- Very important
17 - Select Add
18 - Select CD/DVD Drive
19 - Select scsi & 2 <- Very Important
20 - Select Storage (ISOs)
21 - Select ISO Image
22 - Click Create
23 - Right Click VM
24 - Select Start

Make sure you are not using a 64 bit version of amd / intel image it will not work on the PI install. I have a website where I am putting all of these tutorials for everyone. I will also be doing some videos as well for these tutorials. If you can't tell I am a huge PI enthusiast.

Thanks,
Michael

OK, all other questions aside for a moment
This might be a little late but you have to go to options and select the boot order make sure you put the cd / hard drive/net then after the install is complete. Goto hardware >> choose cd >> edit and select "Do use any media" at the bottom of the list. Then reboot it should work - please be aware it will take 30 secs to a minute for the VM to boot. View attachment 29220
I never did manage to get the ARM build to boot -- saw the UEFI boot loader skip past CD/DVD and HDD to Netboot plenty of times, though.

FWIW, I *did* validate the overall approach using the x86 build of "Raspberry Desktop," but as I mentioned earlier in the thread, my purpose was to evaluate some packages that AFAIK only have ARMHF source.

Proxmox ARM support is beyond my black magic skills, or is not up to that task.

Hello @crazy_otto
OK, all other questions aside for a moment

I never did manage to get the ARM build to boot -- saw the UEFI boot loader skip past CD/DVD and HDD to Netboot plenty of times, though.

FWIW, I *did* validate the overall approach using the x86 build of "Raspberry Desktop," but as I mentioned earlier in the thread, my purpose was to evaluate some packages that AFAIK only have ARMHF source.

Proxmox ARM support is beyond my black magic skills, or is not up to that task.
Hey there did you ever get this working, if not i can help you for sure. Just let me know. We can do a Zoom session if you like. I hope you did. Earlier in this thread i put the instructions on how to Ubuntu Server ARM and Raspberry PI OS working but only if it is an iso not an img. By the way sorry it took so long to respond, I apologize.

I hope I can help,
Michael

View attachment 28924
The reason it was doing this is because it wasn't set to the right technology. It has to be scsi then under options you have to move it to the top of the boot order. I can show how to do this once you know how to do it and what order it works like a champ.

Let me know,
Michael

P.S. Again Sorry it took so long to answer.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!