Any Help trying to identify this kernel panic?

CodeMonkeyBill

Mar 3, 2017
Any assistance identifying the likely cause of this kernel panic would be greatly appreciated.
(The server is headless, and this final page of console text is all I can get from the IPMI server)

kernelpanic.jpg

And if anyone has any suggestions as to the relevant logs, and how to access them, that may provide additional info as to this kp.

Server Info:
VE Hardware:
CPU - AMD Opteron 6168 1.9 GHz Processor
-12 Core Processor, 128 KB L1 Cache, 512KB L2 Cache (per Core), 12MB L3 Cache (per Socket)​
MOBO - Supermicro H8SGL-F Motherboard - Amd Magny Cours Single Socket with on-board Ipmi
-CPU: Single 1944-pin Socket G34 Support one Twelve/Eight-Core ready AMD Opteron 6100 Series processors,Support HT3.0 Link Technology
-Chipset: AMD chipset SR5650 + SP5100
-Memory: 8x 240pin DDR3-1333/1066/800 DIMMs, Supports Upto 128GB ECC/REG Memory
-Slots: 1x PCI-Express 2.0 x16 Slot; 2x PCI-Express 2.0 x8 Slots; 3x PCI Slots
-Video: Matrox G200 Graphics Controller, w/ 16MB DDR2 Video Memory
-LAN: Dual Intel 82574L Gigabit Ethernet Controllers​
RAM - 32GB 1333Mhz Quad-Rank non-ECC
RAID - LSI MegaRaid SAS 9260-4i
-4x Seagate SATA 3.0 RAID capable 2TB HDs (forgot which ones exactly)
-4x disks running in a 4-disk RAID6​
SATA - 1x Seagate SATA 3.0 2TB HD connected to MOBO SATA (for backups only)
PSU - 800W AthenaPower Server PSU (non-redundant)​

VE Software:
PROXMOX - Virtual Environment 4.4-1/eb2d6f1e
RAID - megaraid_sas driver and megactl management and reporting tools
UPS - Cyberpower 1500PFCLCD managed via nut​

VMs:
-2x Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 installed via best practices guide from this forum
-3x Windows Server 2016 x64 installed via best practices guide form this forum
*All VMs are setup with 2cores/ea., 2048MB RAM, 128GB HD via Virtio0, start at boot, SeaBIOS, QEMU Agent.

Try to setup kdump to get more information about kernel crashes. Post mortem analysis is very hard without out.

Thanks for the suggestion!
I just had a friend recommend netconsole to remotely record kernel logs.
Will try and setup both to try and cover all the bases, get all the info I can.

Yes, I also often used netconsole, but this is limited to the same physical network (due to Layer-2 stuff) and you cannot log eveything - but that's the same with kdump. Setting up both is IMHO the best way to go.

Yet I have to say, I had crashed due to netconsole (and flodding) at boot on some machines. Not every network card plays nice with it, yet you should try. I'd recommend to setup everything in a VM and play around with it. Especially also with sysreq keys and causing kernel panics to get familiar with the stuff.

Yes, I also often used netconsole, but this is limited to the same physical network (due to Layer-2 stuff) and you cannot log eveything - but that's the same with kdump. Setting up both is IMHO the best way to go.

Yet I have to say, I had crashed due to netconsole (and flodding) at boot on some machines. Not every network card plays nice with it, yet you should try. I'd recommend to setup everything in a VM and play around with it. Especially also with sysreq keys and causing kernel panics to get familiar with the stuff.

Awesome, thanks for the confirmation on netconsole, and using them both together, and the tips on setting it all up.

Just the tip mind.
-AvE

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!