Any chance to slash "local" storage?

MoxProxxer

Apr 25, 2018
Originally proxmox started with local storage.

Now that I have my space1 storage (MD-Device) finally set up and running, I would like to get rid of local as it is only in the way.

I removed any traces of it from /etc/pve/storage.cfg, grepped in /etc for any mentions, and it is mentioned in /etc/pve/.rrd - a readonly file and pretty resilient:

chmod: changing permissions of '.rrd': Operation not permitted

So how do I get rid of local?

You should manage your storage and VMs/CTs by using the PVE tools like `pvesm remove storage` in order to have a consistent system.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I did try

> pvesm list local

(no errors, no output)

then

> pvesm remove local

(no errors, no output)

but local storage is still sitting there looking at me.

Hmm yes you are right, seems we treat local a bit special since it is the default

pvesm set local --disable 1

did the cosmetic trick. Thank you.

Maybe to explain the rationale behind me trying to "remove local":

I'm using Proxmox on the Gigabyte MA10-ST0 Mainboard. A very nice 16-core 31W TDP mITX thingie.
It has quite a lot of stuff soldered to it, among others a 32GB eMMC on board for the OS.

Now with a price tag of ~ $900 the mainboard might have some durable eMMC, but I still wanted to take some strain off it
- especially as it has 16 SATA ports, so plenty of other mass storage to keep the VMs.

I actually do not care calling the primary storage space "local", I just would have needed the possibility to move it from /var/xxxx to somewhere else without resorting so some ugly hacks such as symlinks from /var/xxx to other mass storage.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!