All guests have no network

carlosmp

Renowned Member
Jun 2, 2010
Having a really strange issue. I just upgraded to the latest 2.3, and have been using 2.2 previously. Today, it appears that none of the CT's will have any network interfaces when the vm is booted. I have almost 20 nodes, and they all exhibit the same exact behavior. If I enter a node, I can manually start network, and then need to manually start all the other services (named, mysqld, httpd, etc.). I'm trying to figure out why this happened all of a sudden. It was happening before the upgrade to 2.3, I was just taking advantage of the reboots/downtime.

pveversion -v
Code:
pve-manager: 2.3-13 (pve-manager/2.3/7946f1f1)
running kernel: 2.6.32-19-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 2.3-93
pve-kernel-2.6.32-19-pve: 2.6.32-93
pve-kernel-2.6.32-18-pve: 2.6.32-88
lvm2: 2.02.95-1pve2
clvm: 2.02.95-1pve2
corosync-pve: 1.4.4-4
openais-pve: 1.1.4-2
libqb: 0.10.1-2
redhat-cluster-pve: 3.1.93-2
resource-agents-pve: 3.9.2-3
fence-agents-pve: 3.1.9-1
pve-cluster: 1.0-36
qemu-server: 2.3-18
pve-firmware: 1.0-21
libpve-common-perl: 1.0-49
libpve-access-control: 1.0-26
libpve-storage-perl: 2.3-6
vncterm: 1.0-3
vzctl: 4.0-1pve2
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.1-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 1.4-8
ksm-control-daemon: 1.1-1
root@pve01:~#

I've attempted to restart pve-cluster, everything else appears to be ok, and vmbr configs are correct.

I am at a complete blank here.

Thanks in advance,

Carlos.

Seems that this was mostly related to DNS. One of the virtual machines was the primary/secondary DNS. I brought that machine up, and manually enabled the networking/named, and then the subsequent machines came up correctly. I was unaware of the potentially disastrous effects of virtualizing the name servers. Perhaps the nodes themselves should serve as local dns to help bring the nodes up...

Which brings up another thought - is it possible to adjust boot-up priority to allow certain nodes to start over others? Perhaps a priority 0-100 to assign boot order.

Boot order is for KVMs, with respect to CD, disk, etc (machine level), not a system boot order for KVMs/CTs.

Dietmar, Yes, found that setting, but it's only on KVMs; I was hoping it was for Containers. Most of our machines are containers. I was hoping to avoid backup/restore each one of the lower numbered machines just to make space for a restore at a lower number. Thanks

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!