[SOLVED] After Update -> Grub rescue console

Yakuraku

Sep 24, 2016
Hey folks,

I installed Proxmox today (downloaded yesterday).
It was success full installed (ZFS) and created some vms. Everything was fine and reboot was all ok.

Then I performed an update (without any errors). After this reboot, the system does no longer boot. To be precise, the server boots into grub rescue. The only additional information provided is:
"error: [2] incorrect dnode type: 16!=21"

Anybody has an idea, how this problem is created?

I have tried to reinstall the Proxmox to fix the problem, and after another update/upgrade, I got the same problem again ("error: [2] incorrect dnode type: 0!=21"). My ZFS root pool is a 3-mirror setup. Souldn't it be save against a corrupted dataset? Could that be a known bug I haven't found?

@sigxcpu & @fireon: Thanks for your replies. I'll try to chroot and fit it with a proxmox 3.4 / 4.0 cd (I can't use 4.2 because of this https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/debug-mode-no-inputs-possible.26117/ )

Just started with the proxmox 3.4 and checkt the zpool, which was ok (no corruption)
I chrooted to the rpool but now I can not perform grub-install /dev/sda (grub-install error cannot find a device for /boot/grub (is /dev mounted?) Did i miss to give the /dev to chroot?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!