Advice requested on storage setup.

wawawawa

Mar 8, 2014
Hi All

Environment - Homelab - not production.

Single host, Supermicro X10SDV-8C+ (8C, 16T), 64GB.
1x NVMe SSD - 256GB
1x Samsung SSD - 1TB
4x WD Red - 2TB (total 8TB raw)

(I also have a Synology NAS which I use for backup / archive and all media)

I use a variety of containers / KVM guests.

With 5.0 being released and now that I am dockerizing everything (via CoreOS / RancherOS) I wanted to ask for advice on how I should use the available storage.

I plan to reinstall from scratch. I've taken snapshots and backed everything up.

I was using LVM-thin and FreeNAS as a guest to present the 4x WD Red HDs via NFS.

How would you use this setup?

The aim is for flexibility, ability to snapshot / restore and also shared storage between VMs.

Would you use the 4x2TB as ZFS pool with some of the NVMe SSD as cache?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

/following with interest I'm planing on the same configuration, though with different size hard drives. Have you done the installation yet? How's it going?

/following with interest I'm planing on the same configuration, though with different size hard drives. Have you done the installation yet? How's it going?

Hi there.... I installed Proxmox on the NVME and use most of it as lvm-thin for a bunch of small (10GB) CoreOS and RancherOS hosts.

Before this reinstall I used to have a FreeNAS VM with direct access to the disks but now I use native Proxmox instead. Bulk storage is the 4x2TB as a ZFS RAIDZ volume that I also share (and mount locally) via NFS to allow me to use it for backups as well as KVM storage for some of the other VMs I have. I use this also within all of my Docker instances as persistent storage (via NFS). I had some fun getting this working with RancherOS! (I had to create a Docker system-level Application as "--net host" to enable NFS mounting for other Docker apps on the same VM).

I set up a couple of small partitions on the 1TB SSD to use L2ARC and ZIL partitions for the ZFS pool.

I am really not using that much of the resources of all of the storage options I have. There's about 900GB free on my Samsung SSD that's currently not even partitioned. I will get around to it eventually. I have found the performance of the zpool to be definitely fast enough for what I need. Maybe I should move persistent storage to the SSD and have the zpool as bulk data storage.... Hmmmm

Hope this helps!

Thanks

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!