Advice on importing existing VM's into brand new Proxmox installation

leenux_tux

Mar 21, 2013
England
Hello Forum,

I'm fairly new to Proxmox, have only being using it for 12 months or so and have only been experimenting with it in a home office/educational environment.

Initially I had the OS installed to two mirrored USB sticks which were mounted directly on the Motherboard (Supermicro). Unfortunately, after a power outage I lost the OS. I have re-installed ProxMox to a couple of SSD's now (ZFS RAID1) and want to, if possible.

• Import local VM's
  • Import VM's that are on ZFS over ISCSI from a FreeNAS box.
  • Import VM's that are based on a NFS share from a FreeNAS box.

I have mounted up the local disk and can see the folders where the VM's are located, however, the files are not being listed in the Proxmox "Storage View" dialogue.

Also, I have mounted up the NFS share and the ZFS over ISCSI block device but cannot "see" any files via the Storage View.

I have searched around and only ever seem to find advice on importing a VM from another virtualization product (VMWare for example) using things like Clonezilla. Any advice/pointers would be greatly appreciated.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!