[SOLVED] Adding new NIC driver?

wawawawa

Mar 8, 2014
Hi All

First time user and first time poster. I recently was introduced to Proxmox by a colleague when we were setting up a new Lab at my work. Very impressed indeed.

I am now setting up Proxmox (current release) on an Intel NUC (i5 and 16GB RAM backed off to NFS storage). I am migrating the currently running Debian instance to be a guest on the Proxmox install. The Debian instance is an inline HTTP proxy and for this I use an additional NIC.

I would like to add the additional USB3 Gbps NIC (chipset is AX88179) to proxmox so I can use it in the guest image.

However, in order to compile the module I need the kernel headers. Normally I would get these by:

Code:
apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)

But this package does not exist.

In fact, I've installed all of the available headers and no luck.

Code:
# apt-cache search pve-header
#  <= Nothing...

How can I get the kernel headers to compile a new NIC driver? This is something I would happily do as admin for "normal" Linux install. Is this acceptable in Proxmox-land or do I need to wait until this driver is included by the Proxmox dev team?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

EDIT:

Solved by adding the following to my /etc/apt/sources.list
Code:
deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian wheezy pve-no-subscription

Then
Code:
 apt-get install pve-headers-$(uname -r)

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!