Adding more bandwidth in between nodes

Manny Vazquez

Jul 12, 2017
Miami, FL USA
I would like to create a secondary network in between my nodes to give them more bandwidth for inter-node communication. Something like in the image below.
In the image, the black links are what is now in place, I could do either the RED ones (my preferred) or the blue, which just adds traffic to the switch.
Medstar Cloud VM Network (2).png
I know I can just assign another IP segment, but how do I make sure that the transactions in between nodes (like migrations, backups) go thru this new network connection and not thru the normal one.
Network 1 (black) is 172.21.82.0/24 (this is where all the VMs and nodes are)
Network 2 (either blue or red) I would make like 10.10.10.0/24 , but, how do I make it so the nodes see each other over THIS one and not over the other one.?

Hi,

back up goes always over the network where the network storage target is.
migration you can configure in the datacenter.cfg
see man datacenter.cfg

Hi,
back up goes always over the network where the network storage target is.
thanks, now that you say it, it is quite obvious :)

migration you can configure in the datacenter.cfg
Thanks, so if my secondary netowrk IP on host 2 is 10.10.10.2, I should add to datacenter.cfg the line
network=10.10.10.2/24 and the host 2 will know... must add
network=10.10.10.3/24 to that file on host 3?

Thanks

Datacenter you add the network like this
migration: type=secure , network=10.10.10.0/24

Reactions: Manny Vazquez

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!