[SOLVED] Adding a second public IP on a VM

Nov 16, 2018
Belgium
Hello!

On one of my VMs, I would like to configure multiple public IPs. I tried to add a second one but I can't ping it.

What I have done so far on the VM (centOS 7), I have created ifcfg-eth0:0 under network-scripts:

DEVICE="eth0:0"
BOOTPROTO=static
DEFROUTE=no
ONBOOT=yes
IPADDR=176.31.XX.XXX
NETMASK=255.255.255.255
BROADCAST=176.31.XX.XXX <- same IP than the IPADDR

But if I try to ping the new IP, I got a request timeout (firewall allow ping).

Did I forget something?

Thx!

Last edited:
Fixed!

Issue was not related to the VM configuration but IPs used are OVH IP failover. When you want to add multiple IPs of the same NIC, you have to ensure to have the same MAC address assigned to all your IPS. This is done through the OVH manager (select your IP -> add virtual MAC -> select an existing one).

In case this could help someone else. :)

Reactions: Didier Misson
Hello
oh, GREAT !
It's so easy but I didn't think to take an "existing MAC" in the OVH manager, to have 2 IPs on the same container (or VM) !
Same MAC for both IPs... :)
Thanks for this solution.
Merry Christmas
Proxmox_OVH_use_existing_virtual_MAC.pngProxmox_2IP_interface.png

Darn I don't use a ProxMox provider I self host at home. But I do want to do the same thing. one IP to one VM and another IP to a 2nd VM both public

Fixed!

Issue was not related to the VM configuration but IPs used are OVH IP failover. When you want to add multiple IPs of the same NIC, you have to ensure to have the same MAC address assigned to all your IPS. This is done through the OVH manager (select your IP -> add virtual MAC -> select an existing one).

In case this could help someone else. :)
Great!!!
Its working for me too.

I select same MacAddress in OVH Panel;
I add ip in WHM;
Magic!! Second IP was working in WHM!!!

Thanks !! :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!