Adapter Confusion on Install - Which one?

bwestrup777

Mar 28, 2012
Trying out the new version of proxmox (v.5) and it seems much more difficult to get going than version 1.8. All sorts of issues with network adapters that I didn't have before. Didn't have a network cable plugged in the first attempt and neither adapter appeared to be up, post install. So, I figured I'd redo it with the cable plugged in. Well, I can ping the machine now but that's about it. Got prompted to choose one of two crypticaly named adapters during installation and went with the default. No idea how I'm supposed to figure out which is which. They don't come labeled that way! (I know someone upstream thought they'd fix something and yes they seem to have created even more problems than before, but I digress...)

Any ideas? My "five minute install" is already an "ordeal".

Thanks!

Thanks for the info, dietmar. Any idea why I'm having so many issues with networking? How do I connect to the box?

I've made note of the adapter names and mac addresses during the install and I've confirmed that the network port that I have the cable plugged into is the same port I chose when I ran the installer. I CAN ping the box but still no web interface on port 8006.

Did I get a bad release? Is this a known issue?

httpS!!!!

That was it. 4 installs and support request later and I still had to figure it out on my own!

Please highlight this in your documentation.

can't believe that was it and I wasted so much time.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!