Accessing Proxmox configuration on a two nic system

Dilby

Jan 23, 2020
Hi,

I'm new to Proxmox and have a basic understanding of a simple home network. My system comprises of two physical NICs and I want to virtualise opnsense firewall on the platform.

eth0 - WAN
eth1 - LAN

I have two bridges set up in proxmox:
vmbr0 - pointing to eth0 (WAN)
vmbr1 - pointing to eth1 (LAN), static IP set as 192.168.100.2, done as a part of installing proxmox and the interface is enabled only on the LAN interface.

opnfense is setup with a static IP of 192.168.0.1 on vmbr1 and also issuing DHCP.

To get into the proxmox configuration I have to manually configure one of my machines on the LAN to be a 192.1668.100.x IP and then i can access the web UI. Otherwise, the LAN device are simply obtaining an IP from opnsense via DHCP.

I just want to check my set-up is sound, as it seems to be working fine but want to ensure something is not exposed/set-up incorrectly. Is there a more elegant soloution to manually configuring the IP to access the proxmox GUI (short of adding a third NIC) ?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Do you want to be able to access the Proxmox VE Webinterface from all Devices in the LAN?
As then you could either:
* make the subnet which the pfSense tells it's DHCP clients bigger: 191.168.0.0/17 (netmask 255.255.128.0) would include 191.168.0.1 - 191.168.127.254, so the client's would know the Webinterface is in the same subnet.

* change the Proxmox VE IP statically to one in 191.168.0.0/24

You could maybe also just tell a linux box that you reach 192.168.100.2 by adding a local route:
ip route add 192.168.100.2/32 dev eth0 proto kernel scope link, eth0 would be the interface of the client connected to LAN.

* change the Proxmox VE IP statically to one in 191.168.0.0/24

Ahh yes, didn't think of this, thank you! This would also simplify getting internet access to Proxmox as I wasn't sure of a way to get Proxmox to be able to access the 192.168.0.1 gateway.

Thanks again.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!