About the Proxmox VE API documentation

Rémi L

Jul 6, 2018
Hey all,

I'm starting to develop a middleware to interact with a proxmox installation so I need to work with the API. Unfortunately, the only two resources I found about it were the wiki (pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Proxmox_VE_API) and the API viewer (pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/api-viewer/index.html).
Of course, the wiki being nearly empty (it only helped me to authenticate myself) and the API viewer not defining any of the resources used, I'm having a hard time getting comfortable using the API.
For exemple, on the API viewer, if you click on "nodes", it tells you that the GET method returns this array:
Code:
items: {
    "properties": {},
    "type": "object"
}
It doesn't help in any way as it doesn't describe what fields will be returned by the call, as well as their meaning, possible values, etc.

So, does a true API documentation exists, one like this one (developer.openstack.org/api-ref/object-store) from OpenStack for exemple ? Or does every single developer wanting to use the API have to test every method in any context possible blindly, by hand with postman, to get a slight idea of how it may work ?

I just find that surprising that such a known tool doesn't have a decent documentation (if it really doesn't).

Thanks

PS: The fact that, as a new user, you cannot post external link is very frustrating when you want to show exemples or link to relevant resources. You should put moderation in place instead of penalizing all users without differenciation.

I just find that surprising that such a known tool doesn't have a decent documentation (if it really doesn't).

We are working to improve the docs. Currently, all parameters are well documented, but returned data is not fully documented, sorry. But it's open source, so you can also take a look at the sources ...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!