About Resolutions and Qemu VNC

S

SirLouen

I recently installed a Windows 7 virtual machine.

Found two problems:

1. I cant change the resolution more than 1024x768... worst is the graphic device recogniced is a Cirrus generic. I have an ATI Radeon HD installed on the System, is possible to integrate the graphics hardware into this Virtual Machine to get at least a 1440 resolution?

2. The qemu Thight-VNC works well, but for some reason, puts scrolling bars with no need. And takes out a portion of the right and bottom size of the window.

Is it possible to remove this two unnecesary scrolling bars?

Thanks in advance!

Regards

1. I cant change the resolution more than 1024x768... worst is the graphic device recogniced is a Cirrus generic. I have an ATI Radeon HD installed on the System, is possible to integrate the graphics hardware into this Virtual Machine to get at least a 1440 resolution?
Linux Kernel Virtual Machine technology is not designed to provide high resolutions from KVM consoles. It is after all using VNC (screen scraper) as the console viewer. Proxmox is more akin to VMware's ESX or Microsoft's HyperV which are all designed to host virtual machines typically servers. For graphic intense applications which need hardware acceleration, I recommend investigating Oracle's Virtual Box or VMware Workstation. Both support very high screen resolutions and provide methods for accelerating 3d and graphics.

2. The qemu Thight-VNC works well, but for some reason, puts scrolling bars with no need. And takes out a portion of the right and bottom size of the window.

Is it possible to remove this two unnecesary scrolling bars?
My guess is that the scroll bars are the result of your exceeding the intended purpose of the VNC console implementation. It's really there for initial VM setup and something to fall back on if the networking gets hosed. Otherwise try connecting to the machine with Remote Desktop.

I see... maybe I might be trying the VirtualBox for Debian Lenny combined directly with the proxmox ve for other "serveur" purpouses, since I verify is really intended to host specialliced servers services.

I was trying to install the Virtual Box for this testing purpouses but got this error:

vboxdrv: version magic '2.6.18-2-pve SMP mod_unload gcc-4.3' should be '2.6.18-2-pve SMP mod_unload gcc-4.1'

For some reason this 2.6.18-2 pve special kernel seems not to work?

Any ideas?

You do not want to try to run Virtual Box on the same machine that your are running Proxmox. Your Proxmox host should be a stand-alone "headless" machine and dedicated to hosting VM. Run Virtual Box on your workstation or laptop.

Well, I'm planning to install proxmox on a dedicated server, but now I'm using proxmox on my own workstation for testing purpuoses

And since debian lenny is the base, and proxmox is the environment, I would need to install the virtual box on that machine to run several virtualization at the same time...

But I had the problem I commented above :(

At least succeded installing Virtual Box

It was a problem of the gcc compiler version. I was using 4.3 and had to switch with ln to the 4.1 version in order to install de VBox.

Now I have proxmox as base system with debian lenny and vbox "living" within...

I want to explain the idea behind all this:

We are a little company, with a proxmox server. All the nights we create a backup image into a network storage system of the proxmox server.

For some reason if that server breaks down, we don't have a backup server to put the proxmox o.s. up quickly.

Since my workstation is the most powerful from the company (quad core, with 8Gb) my workstation will serve for the purpouse of "proxmox backup system" if we have problems.

This will be the fastest response that I can give to my company. But while this happen, I need to work in a Windows 7-XP environment for the dayly basis. Thats why I need another virtualization environment more capable for higher resolutions like VBox.

Maybe this may be a idea for someone in the same situation as me, or someone could give me another alternative idea for what I've created :)

Regards

Found two problems:

by using "Standard VGA" you should have all higher resolution you need. (see the "option" tab). power off and power on.

What about the scroll bars? Did not found any information about remote desktop for proxmox and using other vnc clients for the vms

not via VNC. if you run windows7, just access via rdp and you have all features.

RDP you refer via Terminal Services?

yes, I am talking about remote desktop protocol (RDP). just enable it with one click in windows 7.

Solution:

following your advices I found that using Standard VGA I could get bigger resolutions easily.

so I did not need the RDP

For "deleting" the scroll bars, I started using ICEWEASEL instead of GOOGLE CHROME and iw did not put that unnecesary scroll bars on the window

So now I'm running a fully virtualised win7 workstation 1440x900 pretty well

BIG problem I found using Virtual BOX is that I had to shutdown the KVM Module, then I could not use my proxmox installation for other windows systems (like virtualization of windows 2008) unless I kept using the Virtual BOX

First advantage I found on running kvm with proxmox is that the server started automatically just when the kvm daemon started with the system, while with virtualbox I had to started automatically.

Big Thanks Tom for the help provided on this topics.

Found two problems:

I do not understand your problem in the first place. Do you like to use the VNC server inside the VM for accessing it ? IMO the VNC server should be used for maintenance work only (in case you can not access the machine from external).

For Windows VMs you can set up RDP in the VM itself. This runs very fast and is pretty scalable. I use the rdesktop client from my Ubuntu machine to access any Windows VM.
For Linux there is Nomachine which is free and runs with identical performance to RDP.

Proxmox (compared to VM Ware Workstation or VirtualBox) should be considered a server-based solution.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!