Ability to visualize overallocation

grobs

Apr 1, 2016
France
Hi everyone,

Proxmox allow local RAM/disk overallocation (infinite "virtual" allocation whereas physical host has finite ressources) which is a great tool to optimize use of ressources. But overallocation can be tricky as it represent a risk for the global host (Out Of Memory, No space left on device ...).

Is there any way to visualize RAM and disk overallocation on a specific Proxmox host?
If not, it could be great to have that information and eventually to be able to set an alarm when passing through a manually set threshold of RAM / Disk overallocation.

Best regards

Last edited:
You can use monit, like this pseudo-code:

If free-ram-on-node < xxx then alarm-me
or
if free-ram-on-host < yyy then halt-vm-yyyy

Ok thanks!
In fact, I already do it with nagios / NRPE but I think it would be very nice to have this directly into the Proxmox GUI. Don't you?
It would help to make good decisions regarding overallocation risk when creating or migrating containers/VM.

It would help to make good decisions regarding overallocation risk when creating or migrating containers/VM.

If you want to make a good decision about this, you will need some graphics so you can take the best decisions. Even in this case the decision is not so easy as you think.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!