Ability to use vLAN tag on other bridge than already configured bridge

May 20, 2017
Netherlands
cyberfusion.io
Situation: I have five bridges. Each bridge is used for a different vLAN. The vLAN is specified on the bridge ports. I want to replace these vLAN-specific bridges by one bridge, where I will set the vLAN tag on VM NICs instead of the bridge itself.

Problem: to prevent downtime, I will update each VM NIC to use the new bridge, and configure the vLAN in the NIC settings. However, I can't, due to this error:

Code:
Parameter verification failed. (400) net0: hotplug problem - interface eno2.243 already exist in bridge vmbr172
In this case, I am attempting to replace vmbr172 (old bridge, with bridge port eno2.243) by vmbr999 with tag 243. As you can see, Proxmox is preventing that.

Question: I could patch the die() in the source code, but I'm wondering if there is a better way to do what I'm trying to do.

Last edited:
this is not working,
you can not assign a vlan through a bridge when the bridged interface (eno2) already has a vlan that is bridged (eno2.243)

you can add an additional physical link with a new bridge and then change the settings of the NICs of your vms

maybe you can post the content of /etc/network/interfaces

for example if you have configured your bridges the following

Code:
iface eno2 inet manual

iface eno2.243 inet manual

auto vmbr4
iface vmbr4 inet manual
    bridge_ports eno2

auto vmbr243
iface vmbr243 inet manual
    bridge_ports eno2.243

you can not assign vmbr4 to a VM and set VLAN Tag to 243, this is not working, xou won't get an error from Proxmox but your Traffic is not passing that vlan

for example if you have configured your bridges the following

Code:
iface eno2 inet manual

iface eno2.243 inet manual

auto vmbr4
iface vmbr4 inet manual
    bridge_ports eno2

auto vmbr243
iface vmbr243 inet manual
    bridge_ports eno2.243

you can not assign vmbr4 to a VM and set VLAN Tag to 243, this is not working, xou won't get an error from Proxmox but your Traffic is not passing that vlan
I know that is not possible. When I try to do that, I'm getting the error I posted. My question is if there's a good way around that.

Last edited:
the only option, I know is to use a second physical connection and build the vlans on top of this connection...
another possibility is to use ifupdown2 and remove the vlans of eno2 and after that directly assign the new bridge to the vms.
Dosing so you have a Downtime, yes but only very short because you do not need to reboot the host to get the network changes applied...

the only option, I know is to use a second physical connection and build the vlans on top of this connection...
another possibility is to use ifupdown2 and remove the vlans of eno2 and after that directly assign the new bridge to the vms.
Dosing so you have a Downtime, yes but only very short because you do not need to reboot the host to get the network changes applied...
I was hoping to avoid that :)

Thanks.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!