9000 MTU size on 1GB interface

brucexx

Renowned Member
Mar 19, 2015
W have 3 networks with 3 separate dual port for each on bonded interfaces:
1. PVE Cluster 1Gbps,
2. Client facing network for VMs 1Gbps
3. Ceph Public - 10 Gbps

I do have 9000 MTU on the 10Gbps connection for Ceph but my question is really if it makes sense to put the 9000 MTU on the 1 Gbps Cluster network ?
As far as I can tell the backups are running through this interface and I guess it would help if we had a higher MTU size.

Thank you

Hi,

If I get you right do you make your backups on the same network as the corosync network resists?
This can be a dangerous combination with HA. In the worst case, the cluster dies when you make a backup.

All storage networks will benefit on high MTU, but corosync do not.

Let me just clarify I am using Proxmox backup to backup VMs to a external NFS storage.

I guess I am using the vmbr0 for backup as "default" network which is also my cluster/corosync network , I was not aware that backup (theProxmox backup) network assignment can be changed. I dont see any type of network option in /etc/vzdump.conf .

Is there a way, I would love to move it to a 10Gb network interface which is currently underutilized.

Thank you

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!