8 SSDs best configuration homelab?

SuperMiguel

Mar 30, 2010
Hello All, I just got an R620 for my homelab, it has a h710p mini, i have about 8 SSDs 120GB each, that i probably want to use for proxmox, I already have a large unraid server with lots of storage, so im thinking about using proxmox only for VMs and trying to maximize their speed. I will run a max of 10 VMs (mostly for security related stuff) so i dont need much space.

Will you guys recommend using my 8 SSDs on raid 10 (2 PD per Span) LVM thin or sell the h710p get a h310 flash it for IT mode, and use zfs?

Will you guys recommend using my 8 SSDs on raid 10 (2 PD per Span) LVM thin or sell the h710p get a h310 flash it for IT mode, and use zfs?
Well, it depends on what you want. I personally prefer ZFS over LVM with it's checksumming, compression and send / receive mechanism. If you go the ZFS way I would recommend to also set it up in a RAID10 manner. A pool consisting of mirrored VDEVs.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!