7GB of RAM not used by servers

ruicruz

Jan 29, 2019
Hello,

I've 7 Linux VMs and 1 Windows VM on a 32GB server.
If I sum all RAM alocation (and not usage) and compare it with free -m from node, I see that there is more 7GB of RAM that is not used "anywhere" in the VMs. But I can't find from where it is comming from.

Is there any way to check where is this comming from and hopefully fix the issue?

Hi,
I don't know if I understand your question correctly. Do you mean the sum of RAM usage as displayed within the VM's does not sum up to the RAM usage on the host? Note that you might have things like ZFS, caches, buffers and other things taking up memory on your host as well...

Hi Chris, Thanks for the quick reply.

That's exactly it. The sum of the allocated RAM (not usage RAM) is 23.35GB however I'me using more 7GB of RAM. I believe the SO can't take "that" much RAM.

I did the free -m and I'm not sure if it counts our the cache there. How can I find out?

Also, by default, if I hit 100% of RAM in the node, how will the VMs handle it? They will use disk as RAM, or...?

Thanks.

It is hard to tell what uses up your memory but you can try to find out via top/htop... If your host memory reaches it's limit, it will swap to disk.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!