6.3.1 on Dell R710 not booting: grub lvmid not found

Xeyler

Dec 4, 2020
I like to think I'm pretty handy with Linux, but this issue has me at the end of my wits.

I'm trying to install Proxmox VE 6.3.1 on a Dell R710. The installation process appears to work as expected, but when I reboot, grub panics with the following error:

error: disk 'lvmid/XqJfRd-Xmjl-TbAK-fPUE-8syb-bRax-u95aNH/pn9AfP-rpee-jTq3-UFWSM29Y-5vyA-QOP1nF' not found.

So for some reason grub can't boot from the corresponding lvmid? After installation, I used `lvdisplay` to make sure the root partition had an lvmid starting with 'pn9Afp'.

Any ideas? I'd really appreciate some help.

I have 6 x 2TB disks. The SAS controller makes them appear to be one ~11TB drive, though. I'm not sure if I can change the controller configuration to make each disk appear as its own, but I can look into that.

Actually, it looks like my PERC firmware was out of date. I installed the latest (available from Dell's support website) and it appears to be working with Proxmox 6.3.1

In the off chance you're reading this because you're trying to get proxmox up on your Dell R710, all I did to get it running was I updated the BIOS, iDRAC, and PERC firmware via FreeDOS on a USB. I'm currently running PERC firmware version 6.3.3-0002. After that, I just followed the normal proxmox installation utility.

If you'd like help, let me know. I'd be happy to describe the process in greater detail.

Hi, I have also this problem with the same R710 and I uptated Bios, Perc, Idrac and stil have this error.
PERC firmware version 6.3.3-0002 too

I have 6 HDD 3.5 Disks of 2TB and RAID 5
Im trying to install Proxmox in ext4 all auto (wizard) without custom options and installation say me all ok but when I reboot I become this error.
Should I try with a BIOS Legacy mode installation and not UEFI?

Bios 1.10 6.6.0
Idrac 2.92.05
Lifecycle Controller 1.7.5.4
Perc 6/i 6.3.3-0002

Regards

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!