[TUTORIAL] 5.4 to 6 Migration Network Issue Fix

Sep 29, 2018
Figure I'd post this fix for anyone that has a similar issue migrating from 5.4 (Stretch) to 6 (Buster).

I have a standalone PVE node, originally installed on Debian Stretch a few years ago with no major mods outside of a default installation. Ran pve5to6 with no flags, then the update.

After the update, networking would fail exactly 22 minutes (give or take 5 seconds) after boot - no ssh, webgui, etc. Everything looked and seemed totally normal up until that mark. Checked crons, and a newly installed UPS. Ended up being a new power feature in Debian 10 Buster...

Apparently in Buster, the default power settings suspends after 20 minutes for power savings. Stretch did not have this feature, so your default config into Buster will likely be the same aka default suspending after 20 mins. When the system suspends it suspends NetworkManager (like windows workstations :)

Following the advice here worked for me since I need network access 24/7:

systemctl mask sleep.target suspend.target hibernate.target hybrid-sleep.target

Last edited:
Thank you for posting the hint! You can mark your post as Tutorial by editing it and setting a prefix for the title :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!