4.4.7 Connect from Unknown [ip address]

In reading about this, it looks like its a DNS lookup failure. However, the DNS server(s) Im using i can test and they are responding successfully.

If I uncheck Unknown Clients and Unknown Servers then Im able to get mail, but Im not sure if changing DNS is whats causing this or something other. I rebooted as a test and that didnt work either. The logs still show smtpd connect from unknown [ip]. Even though that IP is both the mx record and has RDNS attached to it.

Its not happening with all domains either just some and it just started after Ive been testing the server for about 2 weeks (and working very well mind you)

Thanks in advance

'Unknown Clients' and 'Unknown Servers' are very restrictive settings - I would not use them until really required.

Maybe some of the DNS servers are simply too slow so you get a timeout on the reverse lookup.

- Dietmar

Okay, seems fair enough. I did notice that sending mail from gmail, yahoo, and hotmail reports the RDNS, but some of my clients, even though have RDNS I get connected from unknown so I thought it was a config issue on my side.

I turned those two options off and seems to be running ok.

Okay, seems fair enough. I did notice that sending mail from gmail, yahoo, and hotmail reports the RDNS, but some of my clients, even though have RDNS I get connected from unknown so I thought it was a config issue on my side.

I turned those two options off and seems to be running ok.
In Mail header some unknown ip address are showing and so that spf test fail... What option need to configure in PMG

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!