4.2 install to NVMe SSD

MimCom

Apr 22, 2011
Southwest NM
Intel DQ77MK board with latest (July 28, 2015) BIOS. Samsung MZVPV128HDGM on PCIe riser card. 4.2 installer on USB drive boots, finds the NVMe disk and happily installs PVE. Reboot, and no bootable devices found. None showing in BIOS. Disabled legacy boot per p.20 of this guide to no effect.

Did you install in UEFI mode (i.e., boot from the USB stick in UEFI mode)?

Yes, BIOS shows the install disk as:

UEFI : USB : KingstonDataTraveler 2.01.00 : PART 1 : OS Bootloader

but does not appear to recognize the NVMe flash drive either before or after PVE install, though that correctly identifies itself during the install process.

Seems like you need additional special settings in your bios to enable booting from NVME, if it is possible at all with your board. Sometimes this feature is named storage option rom or pcie option rom.

Don't see anything resembling that, though someone in the Intel forum responded with this:

NVMe was just a twinkle in someone's eye when the BIOS for the various 7 Series boards were produced. The short answer is that the ability to boot from the drive will only exist if the NVMe drive includes an Option ROM (usually a flash IC) that provides a BIOS extension (UEFI and/or Legacy) which supports the drive being identified and read by the BIOS boot loader...

I'm not familiar enough with the NVMe handoff process to know if this would be true or not in this case.

thanks~

hi so problem solved !!!
You need to upload new FW 8EV10174 for Intel® Solid State Drive 750 Series
I am happy
Thank you to everyone for your help

There's no Intel SSD here, so I'm assuming the above was a mis-post. I don't believe Intel firmware can be loaded on a Samsung SSD -- or did I miss something?

Looks like the workaround here is going to be adding a small USB or mSATA device to use as a boot drive. Is the Proxmox installer capable of putting /boot on one drive and the rest of the system on another, or do I need to do a generic Debian install first?

thank you~

There's no Intel SSD here, so I'm assuming the above was a mis-post. I don't believe Intel firmware can be loaded on a Samsung SSD -- or did I miss something?

Looks like the workaround here is going to be adding a small USB or mSATA device to use as a boot drive. Is the Proxmox installer capable of putting /boot on one drive and the rest of the system on another, or do I need to do a generic Debian install first?

thank you~

the proxmox installer does not support this out of the box - you can move /boot and the grub installation to a different device using a live cd after the installation, or use the debian installer and install proxmox on top of jessie.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!