30+ min boot time

ca_maer

Dec 5, 2017
We have some server that display some really long boot time. We are talking about 30min to 45min each.
At first I though it was related to the server POST but the image here show the server finished his POST correctly and gave control to the OS. This is where they hang for 30+ min.
Screen Shot 2018-09-06 at 11.54.53 AM.png

We have multiple server with the same hardware config and some do not have this problem. They are all using HBA for ZFS

Could it be related to the OS ? ZFS ?

Thanks

Last edited:
what does the journal and dmesg say? is there anything to see there what might take that long?

what does the journal and dmesg say? is there anything to see there what might take that long?
Everything seems normal in dmesg and journalctl. Could it be the HBA ? I'm still not sure since I have other servers with the same hardware config under the same firmware version which do not exhibit the problem.

you could try to see if 'systemd-analyze' shows anything:
Code:
systemd-analyze
systemd-analyze blame

you could try to see if 'systemd-analyze' shows anything:
Code:
systemd-analyze
systemd-analyze blame

Nothing

Code:
Startup finished in 8.443s (kernel) + 1min 11.598s (userspace) = 1min 20.041s

I'm starting to think maybe it's my HBA. I will research some more. Thanks for the help

Hi,

Did you ever find out what was the problem? I have this exact same situation with 2 Dell R810's.

The only thing different is

Different RAM and CPU's.. and only happens with ZFS raidz2 as far as I can tell..

I took out the PERC/H700 cards and put 9211-8i cards in both dells.

Hi,

Did you ever find out what was the problem? I have this exact same situation with 2 Dell R810's.

The only thing different is

Different RAM and CPU's.. and only happens with ZFS raidz2 as far as I can tell..

I took out the PERC/H700 cards and put 9211-8i cards in both dells.

Turn out I did ! The issue was something corrupted with iDrac. Factory reset the idrac settings fixed the issue.

Reactions: Stoiko Ivanov
Oh thank you thank you thank you!! That was it! Factory reset iDrac and it came right up! Man.. I was tearing out what little hair I had left on this thing..

Reactions: ca_maer

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!