3 node install with NAS and HA with out a traditional Fencing "How to?"

crifo

Sep 5, 2012
Hi there!!

I need some help to set up a fast testing LAB (Functional testing of Proxmox).

My HW setup is:
2 x PC amd quadcore, 1hhd to boot, 1 ethernet (Nodes).
1 x PC amd dualcore, 1hhd to boot, 1 ethernet (Nodes).
1 x Intel Xeon, 3 x 1TB Raidz1, 2 x 300gb Raid1, 1 ethernet (NAS/FreeNas).

Everything will be working on a single subnet, statics IP by DHCP, no DNS.
(Proxmox01 -> 192.168.1.101--- Proxmox02 -> 192.168.1.102---- Proxmox03 -> 192.168.1.103 ----- FreeNas -> 192.168.1.100)

So far I have the 3 nodes with Proxmox, Cluster OK, But no fencing or HA, because i don't have a fencing device.
I have set up and run some VM, using local storage, NFS and ISCSI and everything works Fine, even live migration (I’m really impressed on how fast VM’s migrate over a 100mb Lan).

For y final test, I need to unplug the network cable of a node running a VM and see the node migrate automatically over any of the other two nodes.

I tried the quorum disk tutorial (http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Two-Node_High_Availability_Cluster#Quorum_Disk_Configuration)
I skipped the section of “Setup the Block Device” because I set up the Block Device with the NAS and attach it to the server via proxmox web interface.
I’m able to create the quorum disk but at the time that rgmanager needs to restart, it just hangs.

My idea it's to use the ISCSI Fencing, but I had no luck on setting up rigth the cluster.conf.
Anyone can share its experience with ISCSI Fencing or Ping Fencing, or any idea on how to have HA set up with out a fencing device?
Also, I found a redhat tutorial, but for some reason, they use the word node on their conf, and the ccs_config_validate don’t like that.

I understand that it’s a bad idea to set this up like this, but it’s a testing lab. If the tests are successful (and I get a budget) I swear to buy a fencing device!

UPDATE:
After a week, i see a lot of visits to this post, but no one writes anything..
Starting to think that a lot of people are looking for something similar with no luck...
If you are reading this, and it's something you are looking for, please leave a coment, like, or +1!! something that helps to review how necessary this is.

Last edited:
Yes, I have a 2-node cluster running for testing, have not yet configured the fencing component, and am looking for suggestions.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!