3/4 node setup high availability best practice?

Magneto

Jul 30, 2017
Hi all,

I'm new to Proxmox, though not new to Linux or virtualization.

Can someone please tell me (I couldn't get a definite answer while searching through the forums) What is the best configuration for Proxmox on 3 or 4 nodes?

I need to virtualize about 12x physical servers and will be getting a couple SuperMicro servers with 2x XEON E5-2603V4 CPU's, 128GB RAM and 20X SSD drives.

What storage option would be best for this kind of setup? I have plays with GlusterFS and all seems fine, but it there a better option, recommended?

Thank you.

You should have a look at Ceph - I guess right now it's the way to go (at least for proxmox)

Regards,
Jonas

It's integrated into the PVE Gui - you can do (nearly) everything on your Ceph Cluster from within the webgui.

Regards,
Jonas

It's integrated into the PVE Gui - you can do (nearly) everything on your Ceph Cluster from within the webgui.

Regards,
Jonas
Yes, I have noticed that but does it necessarily make CEPH better? From what I undersrand, CEPH is better for larger deployments.

How well will it work on a 3 node setup, if 1 node is offline, for say example hardware failure?
And what about offsite replicated backups?

Yes, I have noticed that but does it necessarily make CEPH better? From what I undersrand, CEPH is better for larger deployments.
No, that certainly does not make it better - but might make a difference for some.
How well will it work on a 3 node setup, if 1 node is offline, for say example hardware failure?
It will work but will be quiet slow for some time after the failure. Normal operation with 3x20OSDs it should be quiet fast (at least if you have >=10GBit/s Network).
And what about offsite replicated backups?
I would do offsite backup on another storage technology so I can't really comment on this. PVE does have that feature for VMs and there is also https://github.com/EnterpriseVE/eve4pve-barc

Regards, Jonas

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!