24x2TB ZFS - Is this right?

jcbhltz22

Mar 8, 2021
Hello,

I am looking to setup a 24x2TB ZFS RaidZ2 array for maximum capacity. Performance is of minimal concern. I have done a decent amount of research but I just want to make sure I have optimal settings.

In the Proxmox interface I have block size set to 16K as I noticed the default 8K was using almost 3x as much storage (5GB VM was using ~14GB).

zpool create -f -o 'ashift=12' tank raidz2 /dev/sdp /dev/sdn /dev/sds /dev/sdi /dev/sdm /dev/sdx /dev/sdg /dev/sdu raidz2 /dev/sdh /dev/sdo /dev/sdk /dev/sda /dev/sdv /dev/sdb /dev/sdt /dev/sdq raidz2 /dev/sdd /dev/sdf /dev/sdc /dev/sdj /dev/sde /dev/sdw /dev/sdl /dev/sdr

(this is for testing, will change to diskID)

1. use disks name from /dev/disk/by-id/
2. use raidz3
Thanks for the reply! I mentioned that I was testing and would be using disk ID when running production. Why would I use RaidZ3 over RaidZ2 when my goal is capacity? Im not concerned with more redundancy or performance.

Thanks for the reply! I mentioned that I was testing and would be using disk ID when running production. Why would I use RaidZ3 over RaidZ2 when my goal is capacity? Im not concerned with more redundancy or performance.
you have many (24) disks in pool.
zfs scrub or silvering operations may drop disks (due to bad sectors on disks) from pool.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!