2.2-32 VM Converted images won't boot anymore Booting from Hard Disk...

nab911

Feb 27, 2013
We are migrating an old server over to proxmox now and I had these running at one point but now when the VM is started it just hangs at "Booting from Hard Disk..." and the cpu usage is 100%.

I followed the guides exactly. ran mergeide.reg. Used VMWare standalone converter over to a samba share.

/opt/vmware/bin/vmware-vdiskmanager -r serverName.vmdk -t 2 servername-flat.vmdk (Using option 2 instead of 0 here because this got it to work once)

qemu-img convert serverName-flat-flat.vmdk -O raw -p serverName.raw

Then mv the image over to a created vm in place of the current .raw disk image. I have tried it without changing any options, tried with a disk much larger than the image I am moving. I have tried everything I have read on the internet and these forums. I did get this image to work at one time but when I actually went to move the server over, it would never move past this. Even tried booting into a live cd and wiping the MBR. No change. What am I missing here?

Output of pveversion -v:

pve-manager: 2.2-32 (pve-manager/2.2/3089a616)
running kernel: 2.6.32-17-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 2.2-83
pve-kernel-2.6.32-16-pve: 2.6.32-82
pve-kernel-2.6.32-17-pve: 2.6.32-83
lvm2: 2.02.95-1pve2
clvm: 2.02.95-1pve2
corosync-pve: 1.4.4-1
openais-pve: 1.1.4-2
libqb: 0.10.1-2
redhat-cluster-pve: 3.1.93-2
resource-agents-pve: 3.9.2-3
fence-agents-pve: 3.1.9-1
pve-cluster: 1.0-34
qemu-server: 2.0-72
pve-firmware: 1.0-21
libpve-common-perl: 1.0-41
libpve-access-control: 1.0-25
libpve-storage-perl: 2.0-36
vncterm: 1.0-3
vzctl: 4.0-1pve2
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.1-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 1.3-10
ksm-control-daemon: 1.1-1

Server is a Dell Poweredge with a RAID1, 1TB volume for the OS and a 4TB RAID10 for storage. Server being converted is Windows Server 2003. Thanks in advance for the help!

Other pertinent info: the file exported from the converter opens perfectly fine locally on my virtualbox. If loaded with a live cd, all of the original partitions (10gb C: and 30gb Z: are visible and working.). The exact same process for a 2008 server works and boots fine in prox mox.

Last edited:
can you post your vm config file ?

/etc/pve/qemu-server/VMID.conf

bootdisk: ide0
cores: 1
ide0: images:100/vm-100-disk-1.raw,size=32G
ide2: none,media=cdrom
memory: 512
name: voicemail
ostype: wxp
sockets: 1

Other servers have no problem with low memory and only one socket until it boots and gets acclimated, then ramp it up to normal numbers. Either way, it's a problem reading the image file that is causing this. Somewhere in the conversion process I am assuming.

Update: Trying to do some more things and decided to restore the backup that was made last night, albeit from a VM that would not boot. And the damn thing booted up...

So a backup of a non-booting vm that is restore boots... if that helps at all... This does not work as a solution because I need to convert the VM over, shut down the old one and have it start up in it's place. There is already enough down time with the 2 conversion processes. This is a production VM than manages our voicemail and call distribution system.

Last edited:
I was playing with that last night. I took the split VMDK files from a VMWare server and converted them to one big VMDK file. I was able to book this in a KVM as it was. I didn't convert to qcow2.

Yeah, I have tried that method too. Converting over to the linux server split the files. Converting over to a windows server made it just a single Vmdk. I have tried merging it back together and just using that Vmdk but no dice.

To be honest, the problem with that method is having to take the server down. It has been up for over a year and obviously has some problems. Afraid if we take it down it might not come back up :). I am trying the selfimage method right now to see if this might fix it.

Last edited:
Well call me Staples caus that was easy. SelfImage over the network, took about as long as the whole conversion process but only involved one step. Fired right up. It did ask to run chckdsk which I am letting it for now to make sure it is all good. Thank you guys for all of your help!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!