2.0 RC1 : authentication key already exists

francoisd

Renowned Member
Sep 10, 2009
Hi,

I'm building a 2 nodes cluster, but I can't get rid of this error when I try to add my second node : authentication key already exists

Even the first time I added it. What could be wrong ?

In fact I have this same message regardless of the hostname or IP I provide, even incomplete/wrong IP.

Thanks,

Details on my conf :
Proxmox VE 2.0RC1
DRBD setup on a separate SSD drive.
root@proxmox1:~# cat /etc/hosts | grep prox
192.168.232.41 proxmox1.laruche.com proxmox1 pvelocalhost
192.168.232.42 proxmox2.laruche.com proxmox2 pvelocalhost

root@proxmox1:~# pvecm add proxmox2
authentication key already exists

Last edited:
Thanks e100,

I think you're totally right. But as I made many different attemps I might not have a clean configuration and I have the same error message on proxmox2.

How can I fully reset the cluster configuration ?

Thanks,

Bad news...
It took me some 3 hours to install & configure the cluster with synchronous drbd replication on SSD...

So, I'll reinstall everything in 3 weeks.

Thanks,

Bad news...
It took me some 3 hours to install & configure the cluster with synchronous drbd replication on SSD...

So, I'll reinstall everything in 3 weeks.

Thanks,

There is a solution for that:
http://www.opscode.com/chef/

I wrote a cookbook that auto-configures one or multiple DRBD volumes between two machines.
All I have to do is set a few attributes and all the configs and initial sync are done for me by Chef.
The only manual tasks I need to perform when setting up Proxmox servers is edit /etc/lvm/lvm.conf and running the commands to create and join nodes to the cluster.
Everything else is done by Chef.

Woks great for virtual machines too.
I can re-create a production virtual server using chef in minutes.
Install the OS, install Chef, assign production roles to new VM, run Chef and everything is configured and installed just like we want.

Is this seriously the only option?

To re-install an entire box just because of some messed up config? This is ridiculous.

I think maybe you are setting up the cluster backwards.

When setting up the cluster you need to create the cluster on the first node, I assume you did this on proxmox1:
pvecm create YOUR-CLUSTER-NAME

Then from Proxmox2 you would run:
pvecm add 192.168.232.41

I see your response here
But what if i already have VMs on the node#2? Can i migrate all those VMs and still add node#2 to the cluster by node#1?
When i tried..it says "this host already contains virtula machines-please reove the first"

What do i do?

I see your response here
But what if i already have VMs on the node#2? Can i migrate all those VMs and still add node#2 to the cluster by node#1?
When i tried..it says "this host already contains virtula machines-please reove the first"

What do i do?

Hi,

I feel like exhuming some living dead...
But, yes, there was an option to reset the cluster configuration without complete reinstallation.
Not sure from which site I took the procedure, but the one here seems quite similar:
http://undefinederror.org/how-to-reset-cluster-configuration-in-proxmox-2/
The one from the wiki should also be watched: http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Proxmox_VE_Cluster#Delete_and_recreate_a_cluster_configuration

Nokia3310, if your cluster is broken:
  • make sure you have a working backups of all your VMs. For instance on a big USB drive.
  • I'm not sure how will the cluster behave when you add the second node with already VM. It might not be possible. An other solution would be to copy & run all VM from the node2 to the node1, so you can clean the node2 before readding to the cluster.

Anyway, please post the result in this forum on how you did to fix the problem.

Regards,

Hi.
I have the same problem.
when I want add cluster use "pvecm add 172.16.250.50"
and it doesn't work. I'm always find this "authentication already exists".
can somebody help me.
I need help.

Hi.
I have the same problem.
when I want add cluster use "pvecm add 172.16.250.50"
and it doesn't work. I'm always find this "authentication already exists".
can somebody help me.
I need help.

If you're doing this command from the proxmox server that you just created the cluster with, then it won't work.
Perform this command with on the nodes that are to be joined to the cluster instead.

no, i'm use this command on proxmox TEST 172.16.251.50
so i want add cluster in TEST with this command "pvecm add 172.16.250.50"

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!