10 Gb card : Broadcom 57810 vs Intel X520

mamatov

Jan 16, 2015
Hi,

I'm going to buy a dell 320 server with a 10 Gb network card to connect to my SAN MD3800i.
My question is regarding the network card. I want to be sure that this card is compatible with Proxmox 3.3. I have the choice between two card :

- Broadcom 57810 DP 10Gb DA/SFP+ Converged Network Adapter

- Intel X520 DP 10Gb DA/SFP+ Server Adapte

Could you please advice me ?

Note : I will buy the support as soon as I have installed my cluster.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I'm going to buy a dell 320 server with a 10 Gb network card to connect to my SAN MD3800i.
My question is regarding the network card. I want to be sure that this card is compatible with Proxmox 3.3. I have the choice between two card :

- Broadcom 57810 DP 10Gb DA/SFP+ Converged Network Adapter

- Intel X520 DP 10Gb DA/SFP+ Server Adapte

Could you please advice me ?

Note : I will buy the support as soon as I have installed my cluster.

Thanks in advance.
Hi,
I have serveral different 10GB-Cards (Intel, Solarflare, Chelsio) but no Broadcom. I suggest the Intel-Cards - the driver is fast and normaly "up-to-date".

Udo

Ok thanks for the advice.
It is hard to take a decision because I didn't find a way to be sure the compatiblity of the card/driver

Hi all,

Regarding the 10Gbps cards, are the Intel X520 cards still the only ones indicated for Ceph or for VMs? (only 10g)

The HP NC522sfp and NC523sfp are still very bad and unresolved?

Are there other cheaper brands that might also serve you well?

How has the experience been in recent years?

Best regards.

How has the experience been in recent years?
I had problems with Intel on bonded active/passive network cards that were caused by some low-level auto-discovery feature in them that posioned the mac address table in the switch. You can turn it off and then they work. Besides from that, I never had any problems with either manufacturer.

I had problems with Intel on bonded active/passive network cards that were caused by some low-level auto-discovery feature in them that posioned the mac address table in the switch. You can turn it off and then they work. Besides from that, I never had any problems with either manufacturer.
Important topic, I hadn't read any issues about Intel X520 devices yet. I always read raves about them (82599 controllers). Does the problem also occur with load balance bounds as well (LACP, RR, etc)?

I've been reading that old HP devices gave a lot of heating or other problems. I don't know if the issues were fixed with firmware update over the last few years.

The Emulex OCE11102 I have read that limits the brands of compatible transeivers. But both it and the Solarflare SFN612F boards, I haven't found much talking about whether it has good performance for VM's. If anyone has experience and wants to share, it would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards.

I use the Dell X540/I350 rNDC (rack network daughter card) in a 5-node Ceph cluster without issues.

Since the R320 doesn't have a rNDC slot, you need to get a PCIe one.

I do know that Mellanox Connect-X3 is well supported.

I stick with Intel NICs except for X710. Stay away from them.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!