NFS backup share permissions

ejmerkel

Sep 20, 2012
I recently setup an NFS share for backups which is working OK. However, I noticed that on the proxmox server the files it creates are not owned by root but instead are numeric ID's like

Code:
-rw-r--r-- 1 4294967294 4294967294        768 Jan 28 16:03 vzdump-qemu-100-2014_01_28-16_02_41.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 4294967294 4294967294 1416647194 Jan 28 16:03 vzdump-qemu-100-2014_01_28-16_02_41.tar.lzo

Is this going to be a problem when going to restore a VM?

there is no need to be owned by root, for a restore the files needs to be readable - what is the case;

you can check on your nfs server which user owns this id and set - i assume it's 'nobody'
can't exactly remember right now but i think in idmapd.conf file is a option to set a user mapping if only the numeric value is shown....

there is no need to be owned by root, for a restore the files needs to be readable - what is the case;

you can check on your nfs server which user owns this id and set - i assume it's 'nobody'
can't exactly remember right now but i think in idmapd.conf file is a option to set a user mapping if only the numeric value is shown....

On the NFS server they show being owned as root. They are only numeric on the proxmox server. Do I need to run portmap or rpcbind on each of the servers to get the mapping correct?

Eric

It's not a problem. You should configure root-squashing in your exportsfile (on the server)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!