help getting vzdump to add VM name

rkennedy

Jan 28, 2014
hello,

Does anyone know how to get the name of the VM server added to the vzdump name. The problem is when you remove a vm and restore it from a backup to different vm number, you have a hard time remembering which backup goes with which server. So if the name of the vm was in the backup name that would help.

Thanks for your help

Robert

well, the only way atm is extract the conf from the vma (possible but not easy nor fast).
otherwise
- look the backup log mailed: there is name and vmid
- or you could setup a pre/post backup job to back up all active conf.

in the 1.x days I patched vzdump myself to append vm name to the (at the time) tar.gz, but then updates came and lost all that.
surely vzdump changed muche since then but I could try to find what I did, if anyone needs.

many people would like that to happen.

Marco

have the same issue - impossible to remember except you have very detailed documentation somewhere;
the workaround i use is that i have 4 nodes - all vm's on node one have vm id starting with 1, on node two all vm's starting with node id 2, ...

works fine for me

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!