Dell PERC H310 out of the box? And performance? Suggestions?

kankamuso

Oct 19, 2011
Hi,

Just wanted to make sure that installation from Proxmox Isos will work out of the box for this RAID card. Also, as this card does not seem to sport BBU nor write back capabilities, I suspect performance will be terrible. Therefore, I would like to receive some feedback on which model should I include on our servers to upgrade from the h310... (That work out of the box under Proxmox or Debian+Proxmox)

thanks in advance,

jose

My best advice is to drop the H310 and get the H710 with BBU, you will not regret this but you will if you dont.

With BBU you can safely activate ’write cache’ on your RAID controller, some controllers can’t even activate ‘write cache’ unless there is a BBU. This will give you a significant performance boost.

There is some more reading here: http://www.hostdime.com/blog/bbu-raid/

NOTE: And even better solution is to get a RAID controller with flash cache instead of a BBU. A more pricy solution but you don’t have to worry about changing the BBU when it runs flat.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!