[SOLVED] synology nas as storage lock what looks like to be entire nodes and VMs

offerlam

Renowned Member
Dec 30, 2012
Denmark
Hi all,

So i have a single Synology DS1513+ which servers my 3 proxmox nodes with NFS access as vm, iso and template storage..

I have noticed from time to time when i simulate certain break downs in my system the NAS kind locks the VM or entire nodes even. Its so serviver that i have to reboot the NAS to get my proxmox nodes to talk to it agian..

does anyone else have know of this problem and maybe can explain what is happening?

Thanks

Casper

Last edited:
well i gladly would but i don't know why its happening... and i haven't gotten any errors to post..

last time it happend it happend because im was impationed and pulled the powercord from my last powered on proxmox. When i brought it back up the entire infratsructor I had to boot my NAS before any nodes had a stabel connection to the NAS box..

If i went to either node and clicked on the VM storage object it would sometime show the VM content of that storage or give me a 500 no connection error.. it was sporadic at best.. and i don't think the times that i did see the content that it worked.. cause my VMs were moving all over the place trying to find a node with access to storage i guess...

IT just happens from time to time that from my perspektive the NAS kind of locks the nodes out or something and i need to reboot the NAS in order to get it to work again..

and i was just wondering if anyone else has had the same experince using NAS as storage?

I also have a Synology NAS DS1513+ and I love it, very good speed with nic Link aggregation an no problems at all. I connect with Proxmox to the DS1513+ with ISCSI in stead of NFS, maby that could be a better solution for you?

I also have 2 DS1813+ in a Cluster and its working perfect. I connect to those with NFS, however its from a Citrix XenServer where I run XenDesktop. Also here no problems at all, not even when I turn the active DS1813+ off, 15.30 sec. later all users can work again and nothing lost. I hope that some day Spice on Proxmox would be the choice instead of XenDesktop, but the Spice Client need some more work. :)

well won't you loose snapshot functionality and live backup if you go with ISCSI and only raw as a file option? or is there something I have misunderstood?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!