pveperf results with Samsung SSD (MMCRE64G5MXP-0VB)

tom

Proxmox Staff Member
Staff member
Aug 29, 2006
Today the new samsung SSD arrived in our test labs and the performance is really nice. I installed Proxmox VE and some guests, very fast and for testing and demonstrations quite impressive.

I installed a Ubuntu 9.04 as a KVM guest and starting applications like OpenOffice is extremely fast. Also OpenVZ benefits a lot from the seek time of 0,1 ms - running the Proxmox Mail Gateway was also incredible.

here are the results of pveperf:
(Intel CPU X3220, Intel entry level server board, single SSD on ICH9)

Code:
samsung-ssd:~# pveperf
CPU BOGOMIPS:      19155.36
REGEX/SECOND:      774527
HD SIZE:           14.52 GB (/dev/pve/root)
BUFFERED READS:    210.65 MB/sec
AVERAGE SEEK TIME: [COLOR=Blue][B]0.10 ms[/B][/COLOR]
FSYNCS/SECOND:     2500.97
DNS EXT:           24.98 ms
DNS INT:           0.74 ms (proxmox.com)
For using in production system:
Due to the high price for reliable SLC SSD (SLC have much better write performance than our MLC samsung SSD) and some needed optimizations in the file systems which will happen to future Kernels SSD is still no mainstream technology but it is definitely the future and virtualization will benefit a lot from SSD.

Very nice.
I know it's not a big name brand like Samsung or Intel, but I just obtained one of these recently:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820609392

It is absolutely amazing for the price, I am seeing 105 - 160MB/s writes and 190-230MB/s reads. I don't have it available any longer to plug into a machine where I can use Proxmox VE's pveperf on it, though, sorry.

It doesn't seem to "stutter" and stop responding occasionally like many other SSDs do after some use.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!